radioactive isotopes (1 Viewer)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
heeeeeeeeeeyyyaaaaaa
errrm my teacher gave me an assignment on different types of radioactive isotopes and their uses and their suitability to their specific uses. can anyone help as to direct me to where i can find all this info???
luv me

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
www.google.com :)

Also refer to your textbook. They may list a few isotopes for you and explain them a bit.

Chemistry Pathways has a good deal of information.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Check up on information specific to the isotopes you want to research. The sites you want are easier to find if you look up the isotopic names.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
he didnt give us anynames...some of them are in the book so they're easy enuff to find out stuff about
but others u have to guess and its not at all helpful of him garrr stupid teacherman

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
How many do you need, and what was the actual question? I'm sure we could give you some good ones to use if we knew what you wanted a bit more specifically.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
:D thanksss
ummm i have to find radioactive isotopes that are:
1. used in medical treatment in association with ethylene diamine tetramethylene phosphonate to reduce the pain caused by bony metastases of some primary cancers.
2.used as a source of power in spacecraft
3. used once to make luminous paint (used on clock faces) but is now considered too toxic for this purpose
4.made into wires that can be implanted in the body to destroy tumours.

and i have to name the isotope and add notes on mwhy the isotope is suited for it's job or purpose.
**thankles**

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
1. For the first one, the ligand ethylenediaminetetramethylenephosphonic acid - of which the phoshonate name you have is the anion - is usually known as EDTMP. So, Google for 'bony metastases EDTMP' and you'll find some references to the samarium isotope that you seek.

2. is referring to radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs), and I'm sure sites like the NASA site would be good starting points.

3. Radium-226 has been used in the past for this purpose in the past, and tritium (hydrogen-3) can also be used - also on sites of rifles. Try looking at:

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/radioluminescent/radioluminescentinfo.htm

or Google for 'tritium clock faces' as a starting point

4. Google for 'radioactive wire tumour' as a strating point

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
HOLY ....

now i truly believe cm_tutor is the god =) geez, no suckin up tho, but u like noe everything!!!! =0

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
wAHHH *impressed EVEN MORE*

cm_tutor is the man :eek: !

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
I reckon, CM_Tutor is my hero.. pro at maths and science.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Should up his status from "Teacher" to "God" haha :D

Not only pro but willing to spend his time to help others. Definitely good stuff.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
1. For the first one, the ligand ethylenediaminetetramethylenephosphonic acid - of which the phoshonate name you have is the anion - is usually known as EDTMP. So, Google for 'bony metastases EDTMP' and you'll find some references to the samarium isotope that you seek.

2. is referring to radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs), and I'm sure sites like the NASA site would be good starting points.

3. Radium-226 has been used in the past for this purpose in the past, and tritium (hydrogen-3) can also be used - also on sites of rifles. Try looking at:

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/radioluminescent/radioluminescentinfo.htm

or Google for 'tritium clock faces' as a starting point

4. Google for 'radioactive wire tumour' as a strating point
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!
errrm did i mention
THANK YOU!!!!!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)