Rank/Mark -> HSC Mark Question (1 Viewer)

MiKeY

HSC
Hi.

I go to a relatively small school and I just have a question regarding all this rank and scaling business.

My SDD class has 2 people in it, EES class has 3 people in it, English had 6, Maths has 8, and IPT has like 12.

I was just wondering what happens regarding ranking and HSC marks when say the person ranked #1 (Me in 4/5 classes so far) comes first with a mark of 90+, and the next person below gets a mark of like 60-70.

Does person ranked #1 get dragged wayyyy down, or doesn't he?
I'm so confuzzled. I don't wanna get dragged down just because the ppl in my SDD and EES class wont get 90+.

Can anyone explain what happens in an understandable way? .. :/

Thanks

MiKeY

HSC
Originally posted by Bon
Being in such a small school, the average will be dramatically decreased/increased depending on how well the school does.

But, being ranked in 4/5 subjects is the way to go, because you won't be affected by the rest of your class.

The person who comes first gets the highest exam mark as their assessment mark (generally their own, not always which is why it's good to come first in assessments :)) and then their own exam mark to give the average of their HSC mark.

However, the people who aren't ranked first will feel the scaling if a few people perform below is what expected according to their assessment mark and other people will suffer as a result.
So basically, because I'm coming first in everything bar English at this point in time (I'm coming 2nd in that) I won't be affected by the 'LOW' marks which the others will get?

MiKeY

HSC
Originally posted by Bon
Nope, not at all... :)
Oh. Awesome!
That's extremely relieving. lol

What about the UAI. That has nothing to do with how 'my school' goes, does it, only how the state goes, right?
:/

Thanks heaps btw, for answering my question(s) :)

Originally posted by MiKeY

Oh. Awesome!
That's extremely relieving. lol

What about the UAI. That has nothing to do with how 'my school' goes, does it, only how the state goes, right?
:/

Thanks heaps btw, for answering my question(s) :)
im pretty sure the school you go to and their performance in the exam effects your hsc mark- therefore uai too

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar

im pretty sure the school you go to and their performance in the exam effects your hsc mark- therefore uai too
not if he comes first - whoever gets the best exam mark in his school, that will become his assessment mark. so basically, one can only benefit from coming 1st.

UAI is a rank, therefore u get ranked against the 60 000 odd students, so it depends how well u go relative to the rest of the state

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi
not if he comes first - whoever gets the best exam mark in his school, that will become his assessment mark. so basically, one can only benefit from coming 1st.
yes ... as long as your top person performs brilliantly! :)

Originally posted by MinAi

UAI is a rank, therefore u get ranked against the 60 000 odd students, so it depends how well u go relative to the rest of the state
omg it's true. i just realised that.Why is that so? but how can someone who came first steal someone elses mark like that? Does that mean that if you come second ,you will get the second best exam mark as assessment too?

MiKeY

HSC
Thanks

Well guys, thanks heaps for helpin me out.

I think it's cleared things up a bit!

Cheers! ;)

bobo123

HSC
doesnt it seem a bit unfair then, if the dux messes up in the hsc exam but still inherits the efforts of someone else?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by bobo123
doesnt it seem a bit unfair then, if the dux messes up in the hsc exam but still inherits the efforts of someone else?
The HSC seeks to reward people for a year's worth of work by working with assessment marks as well as marks from the finals. This is to discourage cramming AFAIK.

Originally posted by kini mini

The HSC seeks to reward people for a year's worth of work by working with assessment marks as well as marks from the finals. This is to discourage cramming AFAIK.
it's heaps funny, cause i came first in a subject i got my friend's 91% exam mark as my assessment- oh, well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)