Premium Member
HSC
What's the difference if the school sends these assessment marks to the BOS
Student A Rank 1 95
Student B Rank 2 80

Compare to these marks?
Student A Rank 1 81
Student B Rank 2 80

If the Exam Mark of Student A is 95 and student B is 90.

Will the Final HSC marks in both cases be the same?
If there is no difference at all in the Final HSC marks, Doesn't this indicate that if you are coming first in a course, there is no difference if you beat whoever is coming second 15 or just 1 mark?

:confused:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
In either scenario, the exam marks of the students will remain the same (95 for A and 90 for B). Also, the mod. assessment mark for student A will be the same in both cases (95 or watever was the highest exam mark, since he was ranked first). However, for person B, their assessment mark could vary, because of the relative differences between them and the person ranked above them.

nerdd

how much does rank count anyway?
like in what way does it count?
what if you're in a school with "less intelligent" people?
aren't you at a higher advantage than if you were at a school with "more intelligent" people?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by nerdd
how much does rank count anyway?
like in what way does it count?
There are already enough posts dealing with these points; I won't elaborate on them further.

Originally posted by nerdd
what if you're in a school with "less intelligent" people?
aren't you at a higher advantage than if you were at a school with "more intelligent" people?
No. The "more intelligent" people will perform fairly well overall on the HSC exam and so will end up with high moderated assessment marks. Which is balanced by the fact that it's easier to gain a higher ranking in a school with "less intelligent" people.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
There are already enough posts dealing with these points; I won't elaborate on them further.

Since Lazarus won't tell you I will. Ranks are essentially more important than your actualy marks (well, obviously you need good marks to get a good rank, but you know what I mean)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
What do you mean by "for person B, their assessment mark could vary" ?
Doesn't Person B gets 90 as well for the Moderated assessment Mark since he/she got 90 in the exam and rank 2, therefore, he/she is getting the second highest exam mark as the mod. assessment mark?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Survivor39
What do you mean by "for person B, their assessment mark could vary" ?
Doesn't Person B gets 90 as well for the Moderated assessment Mark since he/she got 90 in the exam and rank 2, therefore, he/she is getting the second highest exam mark as the mod. assessment mark?
no, doesnt' quite work that way, because they take into account the relative differences between students from their school assessments. I think u should first read the document in one of the sticky threads that explains the moderating process in detail, because it'll take too long for me to write it all out myself..

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
In addition to what Minai said - your method is only an approximation.

In this case, if there are only two students in the class, there aren't any relative differences... there's just one difference. :) The second student would receive the other examination mark as their moderated assessment mark (90, for both scenarios).

However, if there were any more students, the marks would be different, and the relative differences would be taken into account.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Well, I've read the Sticky threads that "explains" the moderating process, but that doesn't explain
1. what relative difference is,
2. Didn't really answer "Doesn't this indicate that if you are coming first in a course, there is no difference if you beat whoever is coming second 15 or just 1 mark?"
3. Lazarus just confused me on the 92.5 thing....

I thought i knew how this whole moderating thing work, but obviously i don't!

:( :( :mad1: :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I know I've written answers to these questions before - no idea which thread they were in though. :rolleyes:

1. what relative difference is
When you have a list of students and their marks, there will be various differences between the marks of the students. "Maintaining the relative differences" means that the differences between the final moderated assessment marks will be in proportion to the differences between the initial raw assessment marks. Students who are very close together will remain very close together (when compared with the rest of the class).

2. Doesn't this indicate that if you are coming first in a course, there is no difference if you beat whoever is coming second 15 or just 1 mark?
That's correct. There is no difference for you, personally. The students below you will be affected, however.

3. Lazarus just confused me on the 92.5 thing....
I actually meant 90, not 92.5. :) Sorry about that. Though I think the confusion arose because you picked an example with only two students, which would be a special case. In general, the moderating process:

1) sets the top assessment mark to be equal to the top examination mark, and
2) sets the mean of the assessment marks to be equal to the mean of the exam marks.

Once this first step is performed (i.e. in your example, the top student receives a moderated assessment mark of 95) the only way for the second step to be carried out is to assign the second student the other examination mark (which is 90) as their moderated assessment mark. Any other mark would not satisfy the second step; the mean of the assessment marks would be different to the mean of the exam marks.

You said -
Whilst the mark you have cited is correct, your explanation is not. The reason for the mark of 90 is as I have stated above. When more than two students are involved, the other marks are interpolated through a (quadratic) mapping process.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks very much Lazarus, I now get the moderation process completely, I hope that all other people that asked about this in the forum will get it too so they don't have to post so many of these repetitive questions to you guys! ;) :p :D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I've got another question

"if a school submits assessment marks with two (or more) students tied on the top assessment mark, then the top moderated assessment mark is equal to the average of the top two (or more) examination marks. "

OH God!!!! what happen if i get 94 and Rank 1 and the other student also Ranked 1 but BOMBED out in the Exam. For example; getting 70 or something, then my Moderated assessment will be ALL GONE huhuhuh..... :eek:

Is this true? that my Mod. assessment mark will be
(94+70)/2 = 82? Instead of 92 if i ranked 1 by myself?

(I cared about Ranking because i am currently ranked 1 in four subjects. I want to make sure i won't get screw up by students in my course!) :rolleyes: :D

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Close, but not quite right.

The top two exam marks are averaged.

They may not necessarily have been gained by the students who were ranked first and second. :) Though, in general, it's better to be ranked first than equal-first.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hehehe. But on the other hand, Someone would rather rank equal LAST then last!!! hehehehe

But if 70 was the second highest mark, then there will be a disaster for me......But that would rarely happen!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)