ranks/marks (1 Viewer)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I know our internal assessments are only used to get ranks, but what are the point of those ranks. Is it like other subjects where the top ranked person gets the highest mark even if they didn't actually get that mark?
Cos that would really suck if you were coming last but got say 48/50 and then you lose that mark and it gets given to someone else just because they did better than you in some stupid viva and report??

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
Cos that would really suck if you were coming last but got say 48/50 and then you lose that mark and it gets given to someone else just because they did better than you in some stupid viva and report??
You don't lose the mark. Ever.

If you're awarded a mark of 48/50 for your major work (and it was the top mark in your class), that will go down as your exam mark, and the student ranked first will have it go down as their moderated assessment mark.

It's better to look at the big picture rather than who gets what mark - if your class performs well on the exam (or in this case, with their major works) then they will receive high moderated assessment marks. If they already had high raw assessment marks, only very minor adjustments are made. If they had low raw assessment marks, they are shaped to the exam marks, because your teacher must have marked too harshly.

If their major works flop, then they will receive low moderated assessment marks. If they already had low raw assessment marks, only very minor adjustments are made. If they had high assessment marks, they are shaped to the exam marks, because your teacher must have marked too leniently.

The exam/major work is just used as a 'yardstick' to compensate for differences in marking between schools.

Leanne

HSC
short story

ok.. i think i'm a bit confused....

r u saying that if those at my skewl doing ext eng 2 do really well- say high 40's, yet I only get high 30's for example- would i get scaled up because those at my school did well? I go to a public senior high school- does that make a difference?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Re: short story

Originally posted by Leanne
r u saying that if those at my skewl doing ext eng 2 do really well- say high 40's, yet I only get high 30's for example- would i get scaled up because those at my school did well?
Your moderated assessment mark would probably be benefited, yes... however, your exam mark (which is your major work mark) will always be your exam mark, and always remains unaffected.

I'd recommend you browse through the following thread - Does My Mark/rank At School Affect My Hsc Marks? Read!.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)