Ranks (1 Viewer)

peep

HSC
N/A
Hey All,

Just wondering, can more than 1 person in a school have the same assessment rank (internal) ??
Like if there are 2 kids that got the same percentage internally, does the school have to move one of the kids ranking down?? Or do they just send in both to NESA with the same ranking?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Hey All,

Just wondering, can more than 1 person in a school have the same assessment rank (internal) ??
Like if there are 2 kids that got the same percentage internally, does the school have to move one of the kids ranking down?? Or do they just send in both to NESA with the same ranking?
my friend and i have the same rank for chem on studentsonline so yeah it's possible

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Hey All,

multiple people can have the same ranking
and this is very likely since they round people's marks to the nearest percentage for rankings
e.g. someone on 89.5 and someone on 90.4 internally, would be the same rank

johnnnCENAAAA

HSC
multiple people can have the same ranking
and this is very likely since they round people's marks to the nearest percentage for rankings
eg. someone on 89.5 and someone on 90.4 internally, would be the same rank
My school tweaks ranking but keeps the order the same so many people get the same rank it helps everyone

peep

HSC
N/A
So for example there are multiple people ranked 1st internally, how does NESA moderate the internal marks if everyone gets a different external mark??? If that makes sense...

peep

HSC
N/A
Lets say that 4 people ranked 1st internally..
Isn't is very unlikely for them all to get the same mark externally??
So how does this affect moderation

peep

HSC
N/A
Like if one of these people performed horribly in the actual HSC, wouldn't this have a negative effect on moderation or is that not the case

scaryshark09

HSC
So for example there are multiple people ranked 1st internally, how does NESA moderate the internal marks if everyone gets a different external mark??? If that makes sense...
it depends how many are tied 1st, if its only 2-3, then generally they will all get the 1st external mark as their moderated internal mark

from memory, nesa states that rank 1st gets the highest exam mark as their moderated internal mark, and rank last gets the lowest exam mark as their moderated internal (where possible).

This "where possible" is important, for example, instances where the whole cohort is ranked equal 1st, and they get different exam marks. In this case, they will all get the average exam mark as their moderated internal

The one constant thing is that the total of the exam marks must equal the total of the moderated internal marks.

It does not simply work as rank 2nd gets the second highest exam mark as their internal, as they take into account raw percentage gaps between ranks for internal assessments.

I have probably explained this bad, but if you can give a clear example, I can explain better

johnnnCENAAAA

HSC
yeah lol i was meant to be rank 2 in mx1 in my cohort out of like 80 but our teacher adjusted them so im tied first- lol so sr is very much possible now

peep

HSC
N/A
This is just an example of what happened for my cohort year - maths adv.

We had 5 people ranked 1st internally with 90%, however 2 of these people received this after applying for misadventure etc...

However, it was that 1 person got like 89.6%, another 89.8%, 90.1%, 90.2% and 90.4%.... so do all these people officially rank 1st internally by NESA??

But because 2 of these people are doing 4u maths, they are not counting their 2 unit mark and hence, did not try in the HSC
With the assumption there is a big gap between these students performance in the actual HSC, would they all still receive the same internal mark??

scaryshark09

HSC
This is just an example of what happened for my cohort year - maths adv.

We had 5 people ranked 1st internally with 90%, however 2 of these people received this after applying for misadventure etc...

However, it was that 1 person got like 89.6%, another 89.8%, 90.1%, 90.2% and 90.4%.... so do all these people officially rank 1st internally by NESA??

But because 2 of these people are doing 4u maths, they are not counting their 2 unit mark and hence, did not try in the HSC
With the assumption there is a big gap between these students performance in the actual HSC, would they all still receive the same internal mark??
wait how come there are 2 people who do ext 2 in there.
wdym they didnt try in the hsc
math adv and math ext 2 are on the same day, you're not meant to do both of them
usually ext 2 people dont get counted in advanced ranks cause they dont even do the hsc for it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)