• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

rate my ... (1 Viewer)

eXy

hi
i just want some opinion whether the following tower (only) is worth $1400. im purchasing not building my own cos i lack the skills...

intel p4 3ghz with ht (800 fsb)
intel d865perl motherboard
512mb ddr400 ram
7200rpm 140gb hdd (8mb buffer)
fdd
atx meditower
usb and firewire
8x dvd-rw
asus ati 9600xl

what do you guys think?
THANSK

Winston

HSC
Yeah sounds alright... but i remember Dell haven't a pretty nice package for 1400 and you get a 17" LCD, and similar specs, but there isn't a DVD burner which you can op for.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lookz ok?
mobo is okay.. if u pay more u could get firewire too..
if u wanted to edit video

the foto on the website shows a digital outs..optical and coaxial.. ^.~

140gb in RAID?

Last edited:

TEK-BOi

thats alright for the price
but ive Built a PC that has nearly the same Specs
but with in the Price I was able to get

3.0 HT P4 HT
Abit Ai7(Intel 865PE Chipset Pentium 4 Mainboard FSB 800, Dual DDR 400, SATA RAID, AGP 8X ABIT Engineered)
512 DDR400 RAM Hyundai
160GIG HDD IDE 8mb Western Digital
8x NEC DVD Burner
Samsung DVD ROM
FDD
Gigacube ATI R9600 XT 128MB VIVO
ATX Case

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Getting dell isn't acctually that bad these days....

you really should have a look at their deals, then upgrade the parts yourself.

asus ati 9600xl ?? you mean XT right?

seems like an ok deal though i recomend going for a SATA hard drive.

r0wlzii

jm1234567890 said:
Getting dell isn't acctually that bad these days....

you really should have a look at their deals, then upgrade the parts yourself.

asus ati 9600xl ?? you mean XT right?

seems like an ok deal though i recomend going for a SATA hard drive.
Nah there are actually cards called XL, they are really really really bad marketing. Its the name the brands give them, to almost normal 9600 series cards.

My friend got a 9800XL in his Aldi computer and it is about the same as the 9600XT.

eXy

thx for the replies!!

i am too it-illiterate to install anything on my own :) i dont want to bother my friends anymore either hehe. so its buy wholly!!

i have checked dell, but it seems that their offer is slightly more expensive. besides, i only need the tower only while dell sells me the hwole system.

i dont know whether the hdd is in raid/sata - the vendor didnt mention anything other than the hdd capacity so i presume its the crappier ones! would this make the offer not worth it??

r0wlzii:: so are you saying xl is a crap version?? equivalent to the shit se version of the same card maybe?? the vendor is charging me 290 for that part!! is it worth it??

also, in regards to ram, should i go for quantity or quality? 512 ddr2 or 1024 ddr ???

thanks again!

r0wlzii

eXy said:
thx for the replies!!

i am too it-illiterate to install anything on my own :) i dont want to bother my friends anymore either hehe. so its buy wholly!!

i have checked dell, but it seems that their offer is slightly more expensive. besides, i only need the tower only while dell sells me the hwole system.

i dont know whether the hdd is in raid/sata - the vendor didnt mention anything other than the hdd capacity so i presume its the crappier ones! would this make the offer not worth it??

r0wlzii:: so are you saying xl is a crap version?? equivalent to the shit se version of the same card maybe?? the vendor is charging me 290 for that part!! is it worth it??

also, in regards to ram, should i go for quantity or quality? 512 ddr2 or 1024 ddr ???

thanks again!
Dude, 90% of the plugs can only go in one place, and the screws are all the same pretty much.

ASUS P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard, I cant stress enough that this is the best MoBo for its price out now. So many people will agree with me, it overtook the IC7 as soon as it came onto the market. It has Firewire and all that shit PLUS you get free Wireless card and antenna worth 100+.

Best buy.

r0wlzii

Also, XL is like the SE yes, I think its either the equivilant or just the newer version, dont know, but GeCube just released a 9800Pro Gamebuster or some shit for a little over $300 check up on their site.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yey @ r0wlzii
GO p4p800 ?!

*sigh* worse part of building a computer is realising its finally grown up *tear in the eye*
its pretti fun to get the experience.. omg best time to learn new skills.. between yr 12 and uni.. sooo much time.. :|

mojako

HSC
>> i dont know whether the hdd is in raid/sata - the vendor didnt mention anything other than the hdd capacity so i presume its the crappier ones! would this make the offer not worth it?? <<
I wouldn't worry.. haha..
RAID is where u have 2 hard drives working together, so the overal speed is faster since the two HD's can read and write simultaneously
on the other hand, SATA relates to the speed at which the data (from one hard drive) can be transmitted to the mobo via the cable.
I think u can have RAID with sATA or RAID with ATA drive (ATA has slower transmission speed).

>> also, in regards to ram, should i go for quantity or quality? 512 ddr2 or 1024 ddr ??? <<
definitely 1024 DDR. ddr2 has higher speeds but it's better to get more quantity
[but didnt u mention it's 512 ddr400? ddr400 is just ddr]

Mithoric

HSC
Well seeing as you aren't puting it together yourself it's ok, still you can get better value for money.

First ask yourself if you need what that package contains, then you can balence it out to get the best system for your needs and budget.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)