• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rates of Change (mind blank) (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I think I may have seen numerous question like this before but I need help with this one:

Sand is falling from a funnel forms a conical pile such that the height of the pile is one and a half times the radius.

a) Show that the volume of the pile is given by V = (pi.r^2)/2 [I can do this, you can prove if you want to ^_^]

b) If the sand is falling at the rate of pi/10 m^3 per minute, find the rate at which the height is increasing when the pile of sand is 3m high.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: If it's also possible, this too:

A water trough is 200cm long and has a cross-section of a right-angled isosceles triangle. Show that when the depth of the water is x cm, the volume of water in the tank is 200x^2cm^3. Water is poured at a constant rate of 5 litres per minute. Find the rate at which the water level is rising when the depth is 30cm.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
im pretty sure 'related rates' is 3Unit work, not 2 unit...
I was informed that parts of the Rates of Change are part of the 2unit course. Such as this question... but you may be right. I'm sure a 2unit student could do it ^_^

shady145

Banned
HSC
I was informed that parts of the Rates of Change are part of the 2unit course. Such as this question... but you may be right. I'm sure a 2unit student could do it ^_^
ooo i notice ur from kempsey... which school do u go to, melville high or kempsey high, or a private one???
i did a question very similar to this in the 3u thread a few days ago, u can check it out its the same method id say

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
ooo i notice ur from kempsey... which school do u go to, melville high or kempsey high, or a private one???
i did a question very similar to this in the 3u thread a few days ago, u can check it out its the same method id say
How do you know which school are in Kempsey? o_O (answer this one :p)

I attend St. Paul's College (it's a private catholic college, hence the SOR :))

I shall check it out.

EDIT: Yea, it was very similar... thanks for that. I was only one small bit off. :) just need to shove some things around...

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Here's my attempt. (looks more like a 3U problem)

Edit

In my original posting I used dv/dt = 10 instead of pi/10; hopefully amended solution is now OK.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Here's my attempt. (looks more like a 3U problem)

Edit

In my original posting I used dv/dt = 10 instead of pi/10; hopefully amended solution is now OK.
Yea, thanks. It was a 3U question... apologies for posting it in the wrong section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)