Raw Marks and Exam Scripts - more money to be paid? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Found this on the Board of Studies website:

HSC raw marks report

As part of a trial service, 2010 HSC students can request a report of their raw examination marks for each course they studied (from 28 February to 30 April 2011).
Raw marks are the marks allocated by a marker or markers for each question in an examination and are the first step in determining a student’s examination mark as reported on their Record of Achievement. Raw marks have not been aligned to performance standards. Read more about how raw marks are used to determine a student’s HSC results.
Students can also request a copy of their examination responses separately.
Students who request their raw marks and/or examination responses should also read the published examination paper, Marking Guidelines and Notes from the Marking Centre for the course. This will help them better understand the marking process.
Students must be aware that this service is not a re-mark of their examination responses.
<dl><dt>Availability: </dt><dd>28 February – 30 April 2011 </dd><dt>Cost: </dt><dd>$5 per course </dd><dt>How to order: </dt><dd>Order via Students Online from 28 February 2011</dd></dl> HSC examination responses

As part of a trial service, 2010 HSC students can request a copy of their examination response for each course they studied with a written examination (from 28 February to 30 April 2011).
Each response or ‘script’ is a copy of what the student wrote only and will not contain marks allocated for each answer by the marker/s. This service is currently limited to providing only written examination responses.
Students can also request a report of the raw marks allocated for each question in their examination response. Students are advised to review their examination response and/or raw mark summary alongside the examination paper, Marking Guidelines and Notes from the Marking Centre for the course.
The final date for requesting the HSC Examination Responses service is 30 April 2011. Examination responses for each year are routinely destroyed in May of the following year.
Students must be aware that this service is not a re-mark of their examination responses.
<dl><dt>Availability: </dt><dd>28 February – 30 April 2011 </dd><dt>Cost: </dt><dd>$30 per course </dd><dt>How to order: </dt><dd>Order via Students Online from 28 February 2011
</dd></dl>From: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/services.html

So does that mean... we have to pay more money?

twistedrebel

HSC
depends
if you want exam paper back $30 per subject,
if you want raw marks only $5 per subject.

Not that bad

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Just apply for the raw marks package under the GPIA act. There is a link to stuff in this forum and my pro-forma if you want to use that.

The clerical re-check is there if you can't believe you have such a low mark and it doesn't make sense... they will check all the marks were recorded and everything matches and the markers' markings were to the guidelines, but in saying this, it will not be 're-marked' per se.

Hope this helps. An order form for a clerical re-check is on the Students Online Website, lower right hand side.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So Aquawhite, if we apply under GIPA it's only $30 for the entire thing? Nice.

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
The whole process of the hsc is so dodgy, you never find out raw marks and you have to pay a forture for any info what so ever ($30 per subject, what a joke, it would cost like $1 for all the subjects, just shove the marked exams in with the record of achievement package they send home) and have to go through all the paperwork, its all done behind closed doors and the Board of Studies isnt open about anything. Some private school trustfund boys are seriously bribing their way to medicine

conclusion: DODGY AS

Atleast at high school you would get your exams back and you could see what mark you got, and you didnt have to pay ridiculous fees for the privilege

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think you're confusing the Board of Studies with FIFA

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
So Aquawhite, if we apply under GIPA it's only $30 for the entire thing? Nice.
Yup, you get the whole package for that inquiry.

Re-checks are something else though - $14.50 each is a joke. BOS must be desperate for money.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So we found a loophole!

High five Aquawhite!

/me high fives Aquawhite

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Unfortunately, now that they're providing an official method of claiming the raw marks and papers, under the GIPA Act they can deny your GIPA request on the grounds that you can purchase it. So I don't think you have a loophole. :(

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Unfortunately, now that they're providing an official method of claiming the raw marks and papers, under the GIPA Act they can deny your GIPA request on the grounds that you can purchase it. So I don't think you have a loophole. :(
True, and I just figure this out... but it says there - you can only apply from February 28 or so.

So I think since they apparently have to reply within 20 days and tell of their decision - I think as long as we apply before February 8, we'll be fine. Because they can't say, to my mind, "Oh, wait until February 28 - oh yeah and you have to pay us money" because that seems... stupid and pretty much unfair.

I suppose I could talk to a few lawyers... I suppose that's a trip to a law firm for me tomorrow?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Now that's a potential loophole. If it was made available for purchase immediately, it would be a clear case where they could use s59(1)(c) to reject it, but the Act doesn't specifically say they can defer until they choose to make the documents available for purchase. Definitely try it.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And if not, I could be the next.. that guy who applied for his marks in 2005 =P

(That is, I'll go to the BOS and say "I'm going to take you to court!")

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)