Re: B Economics UNSW (1 Viewer)

dan_viper88

HSC
Hey there, look i have already recieved a offer for B Economics at Unsw for a 2007 start but im not too sure if i should keep dis offer because ideally id like to do a Bcommerce degree at UNSW or even a B Business degree at UTS due to the flexibilty. I know that i want to do a Accounting as a major but im not sure if ill be disadvantaged in any way because im in a Eco degree (in regards to CPA and ICCA). Do you think that maybe a Commerce degree at a uni like Maquarie would be better? Could you post me your thoughts. Cheers.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
as politik said, it doesnt matter until your second year what your major sequence is. with that said, if you are set of accounting, going to mac and doing accounting there would be a much better idea.

Conspirocy

HSC
In a B Economics you have to do one economics major.

basically it says you can do a 2nd major in anything you want, including accounting.

You can basically do all the subjects if you pick all your options correctly. But some people say it doesnt fit, it does for me so i dont know anymore. But regardless, you would be one subject off, and you can just take that at another uni like sydney when u finish your degree, while your working and then start your CA/CPA program, its no big deal. My mate works at KPMG and did that, was not a big deal at all.

Basically, i would say that unsw is better for accounting and economics compared to macquarie. ---> thats my opinion and not that of others on this forum. Anyway, i like it at unsw. What it boils down to is your marks/UAI. Do you think you will get enough to get into commerce at unsw, or perhaps UTS. If the answer is no, then id take the unsw economics offer. For my HSC i rejected a sydney commerce offer to do economics at unsw, i think that highly of the course at unsw.

If you are not interested in an economics major, then i guess you should try for macquarie or uts and wait it out. Another thing to note is this, UNSW Economics and Commerce have the same 1st year subjects, so you can transfer after 1st session or after 2nd session to commerce.

here are the requirements for B economics so you can check it out at unsw

http://www2.fce.unsw.edu.au/nps/ser...oggedOutInheritableArea&maxWnd=_Future_UG_BEc

dan_viper88

HSC
Hey there, thanks for your resoponse. Yeah i did my hsc in 2005 and my uai was 89.85. I got a B Economics offer in the mid year offers and i did apply for uts b business but idint get picked even though my uai was higher than the cutoff's published in the paper. I think that was because they offer less places in mid year and its more competitive.

Yeah im probably leaning more to UNSW due to its reputation rather than Maq. But im still tossing up.

Do you rekon with my uai i would need bout a D Average to transfer to a B Comm. Also do you think that even after 1 year maybe itd be easier to transfer to a B Bus at UTS and go straight into 2nd year...im not too sure if this is possible due to the differences in subjects and all but what do you think?

Last edited:

dan_viper88

HSC
Also, i had one more question. In my case what are ur opinions on the maq uni business degrees. Would the B Comm(Accnt) or the B Business Admin be more appropriate. Which one do you guys recon would be more along da mould of the B comm degree at nsw or syd?

Thanks again :)

HSC
I goto macquarie uni, and in my opinion, i chose to go to macq becuase i liked the degree it offered and its flexibility, its reputation is up there with USYD and UNSW in terms of business degree's, so either way i see no point in transfering as any degree from USYD, UNSW, MACQ and UTS are highly regarded within the business arena, this is just my opinion and anyone who is against it, then voice your opinions aswell

Last edited:

dan_viper88

HSC
little-rat-boi said:
I goto macquarie uni, and in my opinion, i chose to go to macq becuase i liked the degree it offered and its flexibility, its reputation is up there with USYD and UNSW in terms of business degree's, so either way i see no point in transfering as any degree from USYD, UNSW, MACQ and UTS are highly regarded within the business arena, this is just my opinion and anyone who is against it, then voice your opinions aswell
Just out of curiosity what exact degree do you do at maq?

dan_viper88

HSC
Conspirocy said:
id say low credit to transfer cause you are only a couple of points off
Alright then thanks. Well im probably just going to stick with the B Eco offer that ive already recieved. By the sounds of things its the most appropriate way to go.

Also, one last thing. I was tossing up hyperthetical situations and say in the event i was to stick with the B Eco right through to 2nd and then 3rd year with a major in Eco and Accnt respectivelly, would i be able to complete honours in Accounting or are you only allowed to do Economics as an option?

Last edited:

dan_viper88

HSC
ummm, who to believe...lol

If thats the case then that sux a bit, ideally it'd be good to major in whatever u wanted in your honours year.

HSC
dan_viper88 said:
Just out of curiosity what exact degree do you do at maq?
The exact degree is called 'Bachelor of International Business', I'm majoring in Sociology, Marketing and Politics. It's core units are basically management core's and cultural management as well as the usual 1st year cores of, economics, statistics and accounting.. It's an extremely good degree in that its not entirely a business degree if you don't want to be.. as some of the elective modules that you choose could be artsy sorta ones and mix it with some business'y sorta ones.. which is what made me choose this degree instead of doing a generalist degree in say Arts or social sciences..

After I finish with this degree, i'll be applying to do my masters in International business at USYD, UNSW or MACQ whichever except me.

Tabris

HSC
Reputation does not mean a thing, if u have mediocre and average grades. U can even make up for the supposed reputation gap with high grades.

At B Commerce - Accg at Macq, its a 3 year degree or a 4 year B Commerce - Accg/Applied Finance.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=ACCG03

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=FNN01

If u want both B economics and B accounting, the applied finance and accounting double degree is a good option. Both degrees can get u to CPA/CA

It basically combines the core units of accounting with the core units of economics.

Once u have done these core units after second year, all the economic and accounting electives are open to you just like any other economics/accounting student.

In terms of reputation, according to statistics, commerce at Macq is up there with UNSW and USYD. If u are worried that reputation makes a difference, there is the fallacy of composition. Whats true of the individual may not be true for the entire uni, statistics doesnt tell the whole story.

BTW, I major in economics under my commerce degree and i have done all the subjects any first year accountant would have done

dan_viper88

HSC
Tabris said:
Reputation does not mean a thing, if u have mediocre and average grades. U can even make up for the supposed reputation gap with high grades.

At B Commerce - Accg at Macq, its a 3 year degree or a 4 year B Commerce - Accg/Applied Finance.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=ACCG03

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=FNN01

If u want both B economics and B accounting, the applied finance and accounting double degree is a good option. Both degrees can get u to CPA/CA

It basically combines the core units of accounting with the core units of economics.

Once u have done these core units after second year, all the economic and accounting electives are open to you just like any other economics/accounting student.

In terms of reputation, according to statistics, commerce at Macq is up there with UNSW and USYD. If u are worried that reputation makes a difference, there is the fallacy of composition. Whats true of the individual may not be true for the entire uni, statistics doesnt tell the whole story.

BTW, I major in economics under my commerce degree and i have done all the subjects any first year accountant would have done
Ok it sounds quite interesting. Say i was to go for the B Comm(Accnt) at Maq would that allow me to do all the subjects required for ca/icca and would i also be able to do another major in another strand, for example in management, as i am quite intereted in this strand as a second major?

dan_viper88

HSC
little-rat-boi said:
The exact degree is called 'Bachelor of International Business', I'm majoring in Sociology, Marketing and Politics. It's core units are basically management core's and cultural management as well as the usual 1st year cores of, economics, statistics and accounting.. It's an extremely good degree in that its not entirely a business degree if you don't want to be.. as some of the elective modules that you choose could be artsy sorta ones and mix it with some business'y sorta ones.. which is what made me choose this degree instead of doing a generalist degree in say Arts or social sciences..

After I finish with this degree, i'll be applying to do my masters in International business at USYD, UNSW or MACQ whichever except me.
Ok then, cheers.

Tabris

HSC
dan_viper88 said:
Ok it sounds quite interesting. Say i was to go for the B Comm(Accnt) at Maq would that allow me to do all the subjects required for ca/icca and would i also be able to do another major in another strand, for example in management, as i am quite intereted in this strand as a second major?

Then the one your looking for is BBA Bcom accounting

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/degree.php?edition=2006&id=21045

http://handbook.mq.edu.au/PDFs/2006/ug-business-study-patterns.pdf

pg 266

Conspirocy

HSC
dan_viper88 said:
ummm, who to believe...lol

If thats the case then that sux a bit, ideally it'd be good to major in whatever u wanted in your honours year.
regardless let me put it this way. if you got the marks to do honours in accounting, you could transfer to a B Com whenever you want, so that you are elligble if you cant do it in a B Ec. Thats a pretty stupid rule

second point. Honours in accounting. Unless you plan on being a lecturer, or academic, what is the point of doing honours in accounting? --> im not putting it down, but realistically is it a qualification you need for the workforce, and if you do honours are you gaining any extra skills from the course, appart from knowledge in your thesis.

these are the subjects you would take in your honours year along with a thesis

ACCT4794 Thesis (Accounting)
ACCT4851 Current Developments in Accounting Research - Financial
ACCT4852 Current Developments in Accounting Research - Management
ACCT4897 Seminar in Research Methodology
ACCT4809 Current Developments in Auditing Research

- Sounds okay...except what do you think the professional societies update their members with - in CA/CPA i mean.

I think you would be much better off doing honours in another major. However, looking at this i do see some benefits.

So its a silly question. if you get the marks to do honours
1. you could transfer into it easily from a B Ec at unsw
2. you must generally want to be an academic

final point. i hope this doesnt happen to you, if you want to do honours. But what if you dont get the marks to do honours? where would you rather have a degree from? (they are all good uni's so its all a perception) but honestly - i wanted to do honours in economics, if i really wanted it, i could have gone to usyd, and honours would be 100% for me there. I went to unsw, which is a bit harder, so its an uphill battle - but the benefits of just a normal degree there are much better in my eyes

Last edited:

dan_viper88

HSC
Conspirocy said:
regardless let me put it this way. if you got the marks to do honours in accounting, you could transfer to a B Com whenever you want, so that you are elligble if you cant do it in a B Ec. Thats a pretty stupid rule

second point. Honours in accounting. Unless you plan on being a lecturer, or academic, what is the point of doing honours in accounting? --> im not putting it down, but realistically is it a qualification you need for the workforce, and if you do honours are you gaining any extra skills from the course, appart from knowledge in your thesis.

these are the subjects you would take in your honours year along with a thesis

ACCT4794 Thesis (Accounting)
ACCT4851 Current Developments in Accounting Research - Financial
ACCT4852 Current Developments in Accounting Research - Management
ACCT4897 Seminar in Research Methodology
ACCT4809 Current Developments in Auditing Research

- Sounds okay...except what do you think the professional societies update their members with - in CA/CPA i mean.

I think you would be much better off doing honours in another major. However, looking at this i do see some benefits.

So its a silly question. if you get the marks to do honours
1. you could transfer into it easily from a B Ec at unsw
2. you must generally want to be an academic

final point. i hope this doesnt happen to you, if you want to do honours. But what if you dont get the marks to do honours? where would you rather have a degree from? (they are all good uni's so its all a perception) but honestly - i wanted to do honours in economics, if i really wanted it, i could have gone to usyd, and honours would be 100% for me there. I went to unsw, which is a bit harder, so its an uphill battle - but the benefits of just a normal degree there are much better in my eyes
Ok then thanks, that definately clears things up :)

Tabris

HSC
dan_viper88 said:
Ok, I just checked the links out and this maq degree does look like the appropriate one. Thanks for your help :)
do some more research, find out more about the units and ask the advisors or someone who has been there.

Accounting isnt a piece of cake, failure rate is 30-40% for 1st years and the work can be overwhelming at times. Same with Econ, thick books and massive diagrams can be overwhelming too if u arnt use to it. Same can be said for otheres if ur not ready or have trouble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)