• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

reading school books before sleep (1 Viewer)

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Do you think that reading school textbooks/studybooks before you go to sleep is a good idea, or do you think it keeps you awake?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
apparently its not a good idea, coz it can make you super tired the next day, and you wont have absorbed any of it anyway.
however, if you are looking for a cure for insomnia, try watching citizen kane (die module b, die)

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
narh i cant read before i sleep, because i tend to become more tired, my eyes become heavy -.-". So the method is always wake up really early like at 4.30 to read the notes before my exams lol yeah, this was my study pattern for my half yearlies, each day waking up approximately the same time!

Mike iE

HSC
Ive been reading Emma when i go to bed, mainly because i have to read it sometime. I'm finding it is helping to put me to sleep

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Epiphany
Do you think that reading school textbooks/studybooks before you go to sleep is a good idea, or do you think it keeps you awake?
i think its a personal thing but personally i dont normally

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Mike iE
Ive been reading Emma when i go to bed, mainly because i have to read it sometime. I'm finding it is helping to put me to sleep
i havent even touched emma since the dec. holidays. :) I'm currently studying it for english LOL and i havent even finished the damn book yet.

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
I think reading your notes/school books before you go to sleep does tend to keep you awake. I remember when I had an english test, and the night before, I was trying to memorise my essay, and there was one paragraph which I couldn't memorise. I read it before I went to sleep, and every hour or so, I'd wake up, and the paragraph kept running through my head... at least in the end I learnt the paragraph...but I didn't get much sleep!

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
LOL! yes it's good for that, but I found I don't remember what I just read the next day - I read the same 2 pages about 4 nights in a row.

It depends if you are in bed with a dim lamp on in a comfy position reading, or at a desk then you make a conscious effort to stop, and in an upright position. If your in bed of course you're likely just to drift off into that blissful land....

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yeh train is good.. unless ur with frnz that talk too much.. then its a different story

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i read before bed but i read enjoyable stuff...like maybe a novel that im NOT being forced to read in english...but when i NEED to sleep and im just not sleepy then ( i think i mentioned this in another thread) i read the maths textbook...like REALLY read every word...and i fall asleep in 1 minute at the most! hehe

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I tend to try and reread stuff before bed...trying to take in new info doesn't work

olay

HSC
well because your brain consolidates stuf while you sleep, i like to skim read everything over again before an exam just before i go to sleep.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by chepas
LOL! yes it's good for that, but I found I don't remember what I just read the next day - I read the same 2 pages about 4 nights in a row.

It depends if you are in bed with a dim lamp on in a comfy position reading, or at a desk then you make a conscious effort to stop, and in an upright position. If your in bed of course you're likely just to drift off into that blissful land....
what they all said ;-)

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
yeh train is good.. unless ur with frnz that talk too much.. then its a different story
yes friends are such distraction, unless its before the exam and everyone's too freaked out to talk or nothing :)

cko

HSC
i tend to fall asleep if i read my notes in bed too... i think maybe its got something to do with reverse psychology? U find it boring because u don't want to do it, because u have to

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC

i must get around to reading that cos i try to read it before bed and my attention wanders ALOT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)