• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Real Scenario Law Help (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Ok heres the deal, my dad bought a second hand car and after inspecting the car if it works and such, and checking if the car is roadworthy and such he asks the seller if the rego, ctp etc has been paid and when it expires, after the negiotiation process he agrees to buy the car, whilst the seller said verbally that all CTP and rego is paid for and stuff. After transfering the new details of the new owner, the car is officially changed ownership and hence it is used as transport normally. after a while like 3 weeks the CTP starts to withdraw the insurance premium and then we ask whats wrong they say the rego is invalid. then we go the the RTA and they say the rego hasnt been paid for for over 3 months and hence cancelled, hence the plates had to be return thus the car has been driven unregistered for 3 weeks. then we contact teh previous owner and he goes "oh i thought i paid for it" and then says sure we will meet up to pay the rego on a scheduled day, but after numerous attempts to contact the person, he is always absent at work.

Discuss who is at fault and what options can be brought against who?

Discuss the power of CTTT in this scenario.

Thanks in advance :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
Ok heres the deal, my dad bought a second hand car and after inspecting the car if it works and such, and checking if the car is roadworthy and such he asks the seller if the rego, ctp etc has been paid and when it expires, after the negiotiation process he agrees to buy the car, whilst the seller said verbally that all CTP and rego is paid for and stuff. After transfering the new details of the new owner, the car is officially changed ownership and hence it is used as transport normally. after a while like 3 weeks the CTP starts to withdraw the insurance premium and then we ask whats wrong they say the rego is invalid. then we go the the RTA and they say the rego hasnt been paid for for over 3 months and hence cancelled, hence the plates had to be return thus the car has been driven unregistered for 3 weeks. then we contact teh previous owner and he goes "oh i thought i paid for it" and then says sure we will meet up to pay the rego on a scheduled day, but after numerous attempts to contact the person, he is always absent at work.

Discuss who is at fault and what options can be brought against who?

Discuss the power of CTTT in this scenario.

Thanks in advance :)
[Threaten to] sue him for misrepresentation :)

If fraudulent/negligent, you can get damages to pay for it. If innocent, you can wave the contract goodbye.

L

LaraB

perfect example of why you dont trust anyone selling cars lol

yeah - exaxtly what moonlight sonata said

its a private dealer, i would think that possibly just the threat of legal action may make them reconsider, coz potentially relinquishing the contract is less costly for them...

that said - good eg of the usefulness of REVS:) just takes a phone call to check out if a car is legit or not:) and also to make sure you get everything in writing and signed by bothe parties - that way no one can screw the other person out of what they're entitled to:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)