• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Reason for adding water in esterification? (1 Viewer)

SmileyCam

HSC
Just writing upa prac on making an ester and was wondering if anyone could explain why we (add water then drain)x3 then add water, NaHCO3 then drain, I know the gist of it but I need clarification, I can't find out from the various textbooks I have >.<

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
SmileyCam said:
Just writing upa prac on making an ester and was wondering if anyone could explain why we (add water then drain)x3 then add water, NaHCO3 then drain, I know the gist of it but I need clarification, I can't find out from the various textbooks I have >.<
because the acid and alcohol form polar bonds and are able to dissolve in water... leaving u with the ester....

NaHCO3 I'm not sure why it's added but obviously to get the ester on its own... but i'm not sure what it reacts with...

I'm just telling u what i know from the back of my head... sooo... yeh....

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
the sodium hydrogen carbonate is added to remove any of the left over alkanoic acid that wasn't used in the ester formation.

u should then use a funnel to remove ester and water

bEAbEA

HSC
The sulfuric acid was a catalyst and is also a dehydrating agent
The sodium hydrogen carbonate neutralises the excess acid on the solution
The calcium chloride is also a dehydrating agent to remove any left over water before distillation - to ensure a purer ester at the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)