• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Received an offer for UNSW LAW even though not supposed to? (1 Viewer)

SpongeHead

HSC
Hey guys,

Just a quick question - I put in a UAC application to transfer into another course which unfortunately I did not receive an offer for :mad1:

Anywho I put UNSW Combined Law as one of my preferences but I didn't realise you can't transfer into this course if you have completed more than 1 year of tertiary study (I'm about to start my 3rd year in my current course). The weird thing is, when I checked at 9pm, I actually received an offer for UNSW Combined Law, even though I correctly entered the number of years I've been at uni and all that. Is this an error in the system? I wasn't supposed to get an offer was I, or did they feel sorry for me and give me an offer? (yeah right).

I'm going to call them up tomorrow but does anyone know what would happen if I accept (just for curiosity's sake)? Do they have the right to withdraw the offer/terminate my enrolment later down the track??

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
according to this
Universities Admissions Centre (NSW & ACT) Offer rounds

You could receive an offer in more than one round. If you do, you can choose which course to accept. If you receive an offer in one round and accept it, and then receive an offer in a later round, you can choose either to:
# keep your previous offer and not accept your new offer or
# withdraw from your previous offer and accept your new offer.
so perhaps its safe to take it on. Give UAC a ring anyway.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The rule about not having completed more than one year of tertiary study is only a guideline. Exceptions are sometimes made.

It's possible that in this case the institution decided to make you an offer anyway. They would certainly have been aware of your academic history.

Provided there has been no wrongdoing on your part, the offer cannot be withdrawn once you have enrolled (and arguably cannot be withdrawn once you have accepted).

If you want to do this course, you should accept the offer. If not, don't. :)

As darkwolfzx said, UAC would likely be able to shed light on the reason for the offer.

SpongeHead

HSC
The rule about not having completed more than one year of tertiary study is only a guideline. Exceptions are sometimes made.

It's possible that in this case the institution decided to make you an offer anyway. They would certainly have been aware of your academic history.

Provided there has been no wrongdoing on your part, the offer cannot be withdrawn once you have enrolled (and arguably cannot be withdrawn once you have accepted).

If you want to do this course, you should accept the offer. If not, don't. :)

As darkwolfzx said, UAC would likely be able to shed light on the reason for the offer.

Thank you so much for your help Lazarus + darkwolfzx. I called the Faculty of Law this afternoon and the admissions officer I spoke to told me this is the first year they are allowing students with more than 1 year of tertiary study transfer into the combined law program. So in a nutshell you were right about it being only a guideline - I'm so relieved haha :)

Btw Lazarus, are you a current LLB student at unsw?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Lazarus owns this website. He finished his education a long time ago.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
lol

It wasn't that long ago. I graduated from UNSW at the end of 2007. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)