• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Recent examples!!! (1 Viewer)

Amy53

HSC
i was wandering if anyone could help with some recent examples of NATURAL SELECTION and a recent event that SUPPORTS PUNCTUATED EQUILIBRIUM. i have been looking.. but the examples i have found are not recent at all. i think it will be good get some as i m a bit thick..lol:)
Thankyou so much 4 ur help.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
If you're looking for a recent example of punctuated equilibrium you should recheck your definition:p

Amy53

HSC
thanks but our teacher had is as part of our assessment that we had to hand in..and i could not find anything... i had no idea..thanks anyway
:)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The word 'recent' is highly subjective. However, the most popular example for a recent example of natural selection is the peppered moth. Due to the industrial revolution (which you could say as "recent" on the scale of natural selection), the black moths were able to camouflage better than the white moths, so 'natural' selection led to the higher abundance of black moths as white moths declined.

For punctuated equilibrium, I think you can settle with a species that has been drastically affected by human interference such as an introduction of a foreign species into its environment. For example, the red-bellied black snake had to evolve since the cane toad was introduced into its environment. Assuming that the environment didn't change before then (hence a period of virtually no evolution), the rapid evolution was due to the fact that it couldn't eat the cane toads and stay alive lol. I'm not completely confident on this example, but I think it's the type that they're looking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)