Recipe for failure (1 Viewer)

Bare_Essentials

THE Bridget Jones
HSC
I'm one desperate girl. DESPERATE!!! My exams start on wednesday for half yearlies and i need eco notes for prelims. however whenever it coems to doing the work this is my day

Open up new word document, stare at blank screen.

open up vogue, start browsing and looking at pretty clothes and accessories.

remember notes after an hour, flick windows and go back to word document. Write "Introduction".

can't think of what to write, so flick to BOS and spend 30 mins checking replies to topics and looking for "inspiration"

quickly switch screen as parents come in and pretend to be doing work.

realise I've written one word and feel guilty. Decide to actually read book before writing notes on it.

become distracted by reading, suddenly feel hungry. Get up and get some yogurt and fruit.

go and eat yogurt and fruit. Check on puppy, play with her for a while.

go back to computer and because i've left the page open on vogue, get distracted once more by cute burberry skirt.

flick back to word as i remember my notes. I am doomed! :eek:

Typical studying day for me. All i need to do is add excercise and i'm set to fail my HSC :p Unless some kind loving soul wants to pass me those eco notes :D

Bare_Essentials

THE Bridget Jones
HSC
Eng Extension
Eng Advanced
General Maths
Business Studies
Modern History
PDPH
Economics

Eco is the one I need notes for. I'm covered for the rest of the stuff.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Just to give you a little help with your study method, write notes using pen and paper (it means you cant get on the internet quickly) and then transfer them to the comp.

When reading jot down key words etc to help you make your summaries.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hmmm i used to write notes that way xayma but lately i've been doing them on the comp (esp for eco, not so much for histories) and i find it much easier (provided we have some discipline bare_essentials ;)

yr 11 eco? bludge....just get the excel (this is a VERY rare occasion that i would reccomend excel btw :p) read through it, answer a couple of questions and you're done. i wrote almost nothing in yr 11 prelim eco and i got through it ...u dont need half the crap in yr 11 eco for yr 12 anyway :)......just go through prelim excel thoroughly and with any details missing, just go to your regular textbook and read up on it. there is no point making extensive notes now. im not saying that u CAN'T but i just wouldnt be stuffed and it isnt worth it

Bare_Essentials

THE Bridget Jones
HSC
*whistles* Disicipline..? Whats this u speak of :p

I have a feeling thats what i might have to end up doing....reading the textbook throughly. It's just that it is soooooo boring.

Sarah you must be good at eco. I sux!! I'm dropping it asap.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
...i just bludge my way through it and put effort in when i need to thats all. and dont give up, yr 11 eco is shit but ride it out and yr 12 will be much better...dont drop it so hastily at the end of yr 11...keep it for a few weeks and then see if u want to drop it or not. i have friends who HATED yr 11 eco ( and i cant say that i blamed them) and dropped the SECOND yr 11 was ova....later when they found out what we do in yr 12 eco, they regretted it and couldnt pick it back up.

i may have emphasised too much on reading (cos that just happens to be my way of studying) but dont just read. make sure u undertsand what u are reading my either getting someone to quiz u without u having the textbook OR doing some quick questions urself...if all of that goes smoothly then you'll be ok :)

Edit: if you are REALLY desperate for time than focus on the major things like IR's, labour markets AND if ur up to it, financial markets...for the first topic, just read through and dont fuss too much on it

Last edited:

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
u can bludge yr 11 its the base of year 12... my best mates do eco it fairly easy 2 understand, becasue it common sence but u still have 2 listen and do homework... hey write heeps of notes on it and they do well.. but common its so easy... i understand it n i dont even do that class

Bare_Essentials

THE Bridget Jones
HSC
Originally posted by JamiL
u can bludge yr 11 its the base of year 12... my best mates do eco it fairly easy 2 understand, becasue it common sence but u still have 2 listen and do homework... hey write heeps of notes on it and they do well.. but common its so easy... i understand it n i dont even do that class

Lol....do your friends want to give me their notes? Pleeeeeeease?

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Just to give you a little help with your study method, write notes using pen and paper (it means you cant get on the internet quickly) and then transfer them to the comp.

When reading jot down key words etc to help you make your summaries.
All my notes are hand written :D ... i can concentrate on what i'm supposed to be doing instead of farting around. Maybe its not for everyone...

Opium

:: Unbound ::
HSC
When i have to do an assignment i always hand write it first then type it up on the computer. I always publish things on the computer I never start something out on the computer. Try writting your notes and going over them not on the computer because the net is a big distraction, try to get rid of as many distractions as possible.

As much as I love music, i'm finding it a bit distracting at the moment. I end up sitting in my room with my pen in my hand just listening to the music instead of concentrating on work. But i'm reluctant to turn it off because I love music so much.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Bare_Essentials, I might be incline to offer you my notes if I type them up tomorrow because they are hand written. Also as someone suggested getting one of the excel books might help, I bought one but I don't really see the point since everything we have done so far is very simple. Also as JamiL said it is largely common sense so it shouldn't be very hard to answer the majority of questions.

Also the distraction of the internet isn't that much of a problem personally (then again im on BOS when I was going to do summaries) its more the willingness to work which I seem to lack.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Economics is more my style of subject... if u have any questions I might b able to help... u can email me or PM me. The essentials of economics is to know the basics and work from there. Supply, Demand... then word with production curves and go through elasticity etc. It's not as daunting as learning a whole textbook. Tim Riley's textbook for example is extremely repetitive and requires some editing.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Tim Dixon's textbook is worse.....MUCH worse esp for Yr 11...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i think what people need to figure out is are they a morning or night person
i for example am a night person so i never start working until at least 3pm and usually get more done
of course 'more' means 'something' as opposed to, drumroll, 'nothing'

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
3pm is still reasonably "day" time. I don't get down to study until about 6 or so..depends on the person...find out when u are most likely to get distracted and just allow time to have a break but it doesn feel good to be laying around when no work is done. I like to have the work done then go out or something. Feels better that way :)

Bare_Essentials

THE Bridget Jones
HSC
We use Tim Dixon i think. the title's "The Market Economy" It's so boring though. I've gotten up to chapter two and then i've just lost motivation. And i need to know till topic 3 for my exam :( I think i might just read the book and then go do the exam. If i fail then i fail....However if anyone does have notes pls...do contribute to me or to the BOS site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)