• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Recommended Pattern of Study (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
say if you do you Double Degree in say Science/Business

do you HAVE TO follow their study pattern ? i.e.

Autumn
business major
business major
science major
science major

Spring
business major
business major
science major
science major

OR can you choose what ever order to complete your degree that you choose to ? i.e.

Autumn
Business major
Business major
Business major
Business major

Sping
Business major
Business major
Business major
Business major

by doing all the majors for one course in 1 year allows you to finish that course and look for a job whilst you complete the other major for your other course in the following year..

Do you think universities would allow you to do that? or must you mix both majors together to study in the same year?

cheers^^

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
It doesn't really matter until you're past 1st year anyway, so you can ask the uni you're actually studying at.

I'm doing a double degree and I'm doing all the courses required of me for both courses in the first year.

HSC
N/A
not sure about this...
but first/sec/third year units are arranged as such according to their level...
I guess you can swap some of the units around if they're offered in that semester....

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I don't see how they could make you mix up your subjects. It is probably just advised so that you don't forget all the introduction courses you did in first year once you get around to doing your second major in your last year:).

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
What DINGO!! Your considering a science course?

*SHIVERS* Have you made your mind up yet?

*SHIVERS*

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
It doesn't, I'm doing Commerce/Arts and i've done

Commerce Major
Commerce Major
Commerce Major
Commerce Major

Commerce Major
Commerce Major
Commerce Major
Commerce Major

Commerce Major
Commerce Major
Commerce Major
Commerce Major

Commerce Major
Commerce Major
Commerce Major
Commerce Major

I should do some arts

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
yeh das wat i was thinkin of
so you did all the commerce subjects in the first 2 years
and you gonna do your arts subjects in the next 2 years aye
see dis is wat im talkin about
you can probably get a job with your commerce major right now and study your arts major parttime :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I'm just doing my degree like that because of my majors, by doing my economics major in one lot, it helps because a lot of the subjects cross over each other meaning that its easier to study.

Plus I choose my subjects each semester based on how well they will fit into my timetable... it sounds stupid until you realise that you can do a fulltime workload and only have to go to uni 2 days a week, have an hour for lunch, an hour for afternoon tea each day you go, start at 10am and finish at 5pm for both the days, have tutorials before lectures so the material doesn't cross over weeks and have the ability to have a 5 day weekend if you want or get a part time job and still have days off to do your work.

It doesn't matter what order you do them in unless there are prerequisites etc. I'm doing Mark101 this semester and in my tutorial is a girl who's in her 6th year who just simply forgot to do the subject until now.

santaslayer

HSC
Yea at UOW u can 'customise' your degree structure so that it is flexible and works for u as an individual :)

Ms12 is doing i think is 'customising' her degree.....she can now do all her core commerce units anytime she wants....(even after she has finished all her majors i think!)

Do you see the advantage of going to UOW now peoples? :p

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
you also have to consider when those particular units are offered. not all units are offered in both semesters.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
The core subjects are available all year round, and it usually boils down to half of the elective subjects being offered in autumn and half in the spring....

You mean that you can't just choose your subjects willynilly at any university...... boo to structure, huzzah for being able to stack your final year of uni with 1st year subjects such as Accounting Fundamentals 1a and Introductory Management.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
The reason why they do it that way, it because of prerequisite requirements. You might not be able to do 4 business subjects in one semester, so you'll have to do some science instead. I hope that makes sense. Same holds true the other way around, you might not be able to do 4 science subjects in one semester as you may have to do one before the other.

If you look at the single degree structure, you hardly ever do 4 science or business subjects per semester (after first year usually)because you will have electives and other stuff as well. So when they combine degrees, they recommend you do half and half each semester.

With that said, I'm guessing most unis won't mind how you do it, as long as you meet prerequisites. If you can do all of your business/commerce before your science, then that should be fine. Check with your uni first, but at UTS they don't mind how we do it. Hence why I'm doing my degree in whatever order I feel like :). I mean I can't do 4 accounting subjects in one semester because most of them require you to have done certain subjects before others, hence why I'm mixing it together with my remaining computing subjects and business core subjects.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)