Recommended textbooks for HSC (1 Viewer)

coolpankake

HSC
N/A
I am starting Term 4 year 11 which is from my understanding the first term of the HSC content. What study methods would your recommend and what text books would you recommend for my subjects, I was thinking the Excel and ATAR notes textbooks for each of my subjects but I am not so sure.

My subjects are :
SDD
IPT
Maths Adv
English Standard
Physics
Ancient History

Thanks.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Favourable performance in Information Processes and Technology will require you to stay up-to-date with content. This includes regularly going through content covered earlier in order to ensure that you maintain your knowledge and understanding of it. Making notes is also an important aspect of studying this subject. You can either solely use your own notes (provided they are comprehensive), or use them alongside a textbook, or use both your own notes and a pre-made set of notes such as this one, either without or alongside a textbook. You should also ensure that you address any concerns that you may have by seeking clarification as soon as possible. Additionally, completing practice material, such as past exam papers is important as you progress through year 12 in order to develop your ability to apply your knowledge to exam questions.

Regarding Mathematics Advanced, you should make sure that you maintain a good understanding of the concepts and seek further explanations regarding specific concepts (if needed) as soon as possible, even if minor. Similar to IPT, Regular practice is also important in order to supplement your ability to perform well in exams. Based on this, you should regularly complete practice material, such as textbook questions and past exam questions, and address any areas of improvement that arise along the way.

In terms of English Standard, you should ensure that you have a good understanding of each module as well as each module's prescribed text(s), including the main themes/ideas/issues raised within, as well as substantial knowledge of literary and visual techniques in order to maximise your performance in both questions targeting unseen texts as well as essays. Lastly, it is crucial to seek feedback on your written pieces from your teacher and implement any suggestions that you may have in order to enhance the quality of your writing.

As for textbooks, you may wish to consider the following textbooks for these subjects:
  • SDD - While I did not take Software Design and Development, my understanding is that the Samuel Davis textbook is good.
  • IPT - The Samuel Davis IPT textbook contains substantial detail. If you feel like notes will not be sufficient for you, I would suggest getting this textbook.
  • Mathematics Advanced - Both the Maths in Focus and Cambridge textbooks are good. Maths in Focus is more appropriate when acquainting yourself with different mathematical concepts, whether it is through consulting the explanations of particular concepts, or when attempting questions relevant to those concepts, allowing you to become familiar with the content. On the other hand, Cambridge will enable you to master concepts, thanks to the exposure to more challenging material, which constitutes good practice. However, if you only wish to get one textbook, then Cambridge is likely the better option.
I hope this helps! :D

carrotsss

HSC
I’d recommend Cambridge for maths however if your school uses a different textbook I’d just use that since it’s not really worth the hassle of using a different textbook to your class if you’re just doing advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)