Reduction Potentials... (1 Viewer)

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
When you're over worrying about your exam in what, 3 weeks is it, you may like to explain to me what the reduction potentials mean (i.e. Eo value). I mean, I know they're a measure of "electron volts", but this still means nothing to me. For example, what does it mean for Lithium to have the highest Eo value??

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
"Lithium having highest E0" Means it is most likely to give up an electron and give it to another species present that can receive one... the reduction potential is somewhat related to electronegativity.

So, think of the voltage as a force. Lithium, being absolutely hateful of its electron, will be willing to push harder to get it off, first. That's why replacement reactions happen, one ion oxidising before another does, and stuff.

The numbers by themsleves don't mean anything unless you have two half equations, the scientists set the standard of H to H+ as 0.

That;d be enough, right?

El Cid

Originally posted by BlackJack
So, think of the voltage as a force. Lithium, being absolutely hateful of its electron, will be willing to push harder to get it off, first.
I like how you speak as if you know Lithium personally, BlackJack.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Hmm...

Then by your logic, does that mean 2H doesn't have to push at all to reduce an atom?

And in that case, what's the deal with Fluorine gas? It's at the very bottom, with a NEGATIVE value of almost-same magnitude. What's the deal there?

(Keep in mind, I'm just starting year 12, so all this stuff is kind of foreign to me for the time being)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)