References to the Text (1 Viewer)

fishmarket

HSC
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed but on BOS, it says references to the text should be in English or an English translation when quoting Japanese.
If we were to choose the former and just do it in English, how specific do we need to be? Because don't we already make references to the text in English in pretty much every single question to construct our answers? Or does it still mean we give like a quote without the Japanese counterpart?

For example, 2009 HSC:
How effective is Yoshi's argument? Justify your response with reference to the text (this is about two people quarrelling over whether TV shows of food-eating competitions are good or bd)
A: Yoshi presents a positive view of eating competitions, but his argument can be seen as ineffective. He provides little consideration towards the detrimental impacts of TV programmes in which people compete to see who can eat Japanese noodles faster, and more of it. He states that the competition is very interesting... it unites people from all over the world and breaks down language barriers through one competition... However, as Emi suggests, the programmes are a waste of food... having negative influences on children who will think that it is acceptable to play games with food... She further explains that in the same world where people play games with these resources, others are dying from starvation... etc. etc. so on --> am I not making references to the text?
Or does it need to be more like:
(Intro sentences)...Yoshi claims that the programme is 「とても面白い」 ー 'very interesting'... Conversely, Emi suggests that the competition is a 「食べ物の無駄」 - 'waste of food', and reinforces her case through the rhetorical question, 「もったいないと思わないの?」 - 'don't you think it's a waste?', revealing the simplistic nature of Yoshi's argument and his inability to take wider social costs into account... He thus presents a fairly ineffective argument...
OR AM I DOING IT ALL WRONG

HSC
Uni Grad
I think as long as you use examples from the text, either in English or Japanese (with English translation) to back up what you are trying to say, then you should be fine. Think it like an English essay (far fetched but still) - you can't back up your thesis without an example and technique. So in Japanese, you can't back up your statement about x, y & z without solid evidence such as quotes from what an individual said in the text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)