Referencing (1 Viewer)

cutie_pie01

HSC
Hi, I'm having a little problem with referencing. Would anyone know how to reference a quote when it's from a book that has quoted another historian eg: If the quote is from Lawless, but found in a Gae Callender book. I know you have to acknowledge both sources somwhow. I've done a search on the net, but can't seem to understand it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jest

HSC
if you're citing within the text using a direct quote, in brackets after the quote you would write who said it + the author of the book it came from, date and pg number.

cutie_pie01

HSC
Thanks alot.

Is this how you do it - (Anderson. Graham, 1980, p.70)

btw, do you need to include 'cited in' ?

X

xeuyrawp

cutie_pie01 said:
Thanks alot.
Um, what jest meant to say is this:

Different markers prefer different styles. Check with your teacher.

I prefer footnotes with this style, not in-text citation. This is called Oxford Referencing

Why do I like footnoting (nb: not endnoting)? Because it allows the reader to keep reading and only look at the reference if s/he wanted to.

However, if you do use Harvard Referencing (in text citation), make sure you do it properly.

I'll post up a real example from one of my essays:

[FONT=&quot]Oxford style with modified abbreviations for titles:
[/FONT] This object is what is known as a funerary cone, and is numbered 21002619 by the Macquarie Museum of Ancient Cultures.[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] These objects are dubbed as funerary cones because they are usually conical, and appear as part of funerary ceremony.[FONT=&quot][2][/FONT] A quite extensive collection has been formed of these cones, which consists of around 600 examples. [FONT=&quot][3][/FONT] The majority of these examples are similar to the above artefact, although some rectangular and square funerary cones have been found, as have different sizes, materials, placements, and inscriptions,[FONT=&quot][4][/FONT] which has lead to a number of attempts to typologise and categorise the cones.[FONT=&quot][5][/FONT] This type of cone, with the long, fluted shape, the three registers of text, and impressioned-detail is what is called a “Circular stamped name cone”.[FONT=&quot][6][/FONT] This is because it bears a simple title and name of the owner, “king’s son of the Kush | Merimose”,[FONT=&quot][7][/FONT] which has seemed to be stamped into the cone.

-------------------------
[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] Museum of Ancient Cultures, Terracotta Cone, “Description”.

[FONT=&quot][2][/FONT] N de G Davies, MFL Macadam, et.al., A corpus of inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones, (Oxford; Oxford University Press), p.ii.

[FONT=&quot][3][/FONT] S D'Auria, et.al., Mummies&Magic: The funerary arts of ancient Egypt, (Boston; Museum of Fine Arts, 1988), p.148.

[FONT=&quot][4][/FONT] Davies, corpus, p.3.

[FONT=&quot][5][/FONT] Davies, corpus; and Reeves and Ryan, “Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones In Situ: An Early Observation by Hentry Salt”, Varia Aegyptiaca, vol.3, 1987, pp.47-49.

[FONT=&quot][6][/FONT] HM Stewart, Egyptian Stelae, Reliefs and Paintings from the Petrie Collection. Part 1: The New Kingdom, (Warminster; Aris & Phillips, 1976), pp.24-80.

[FONT=&quot][7][/FONT] Museum of Ancient Cultures, Terracotta Cone, “Description”.

Note that number [1] is a repeat citation and so the URL and such isn't written out.

Ideally, this is what a MW essay should have - lots of referenced. The problem is that if you use the Harvard style, the page becomes VERY cluttered with references.

cp said:
Is this how you do it - (Anderson. Graham, 1980, p.70)
No, you only use the surname:

(Anderson, 1980, p. 70)

cp said:
btw, do you need to include 'cited in' ?
For example, if Bob quoted Jane:

It has been said by Jane that referencing is fun (Jane, 2003, cited in Bob, 2006, p. 66)
The reason why this system is useful is so you can say something like this:

It has been shown by Bob (2006, p. 66) that...
Note that if an author wrote two things in the same year, you give them numbers:

It has been shown by Bob (2006a, p. 89) that .... Also worth noting is the fact of ... (Bob, 2006b, p. 71).
You know how to do the biblio?

Last edited by a moderator:

cutie_pie01

HSC
Thanks for that; you really cleared it up for me. I just wasn't sure what to do when a historian quotes another historian. I think he wanted us to use in text referencing, but I'll make sure. Although i thought you didn't need to use page numbers for direct quotes (?)

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

cutie_pie01 said:
Thanks for that; you really cleared it up for me. I just wasn't sure what to do when a historian quotes another historian. I think he wanted us to use in text referencing, but I'll make sure. Although i thought you didn't need to use page numbers for direct quotes (?)
Direct quotations are exactly the same.

So:

It has been said by Jane that referencing is fun (Jane, 2003, cited in Bob, 2006, p. 66),
becomes ...

It has been said by Jane that 'referencing is fun!' (Jane, 2003, cited in Bob, 2006, p. 66).
Note that the parentheses come right after the quotation/idea but before the concluding punctuation of your sentence.

You ALWAYS need to put a page number, regardless of what system you use.

You should also use a pinpoint reference (to the exact page where the information starts and where it ends -- this wishy-washy system of using p. 66ff (following pages) is a nono.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)