• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Reflectrion Statement + Mjor Work (1 Viewer)

Dreal_nightelf

Does anyone know the imapct the reflection statement has upon the actual major work? I recently heard that the marks derived from the reflection statement is in fact equivalent to the marks allocated towards the actual major work. Is this true? If not, whats how does it actually all work

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
the major work and reflection statement are marked together and are given equal weighting. The reflection statement is worth exactly the same as your major work.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
super katie said:
the major work and reflection statement are marked together and are given equal weighting. The reflection statement is worth exactly the same as your major work.
No, that is incorrect. The major work and reflection statement are marked together, yes. However there is no prescribed split between the reflection statement and the major work as such. In fact, only one of the four objectives in the marking criteria relates specifically to the reflection statement.

Based on that, if there is actually a split of marks, it would be 25% to the reflection statement and 75% to the major work.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
No, that is incorrect. The major work and reflection statement are marked together, yes. However there is no prescribed split between the reflection statement and the major work as such. In fact, only one of the four objectives in the marking criteria relates specifically to the reflection statement.

Based on that, if there is actually a split of marks, it would be 25% to the reflection statement and 75% to the major work.
Ive been told by my teacher who has marked Ext 2 for the past three years that the major work and reflection statement are weighted equally...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Can you show where that is in the marking guidelines? There are definite splits of 10, 20, 20 and 50% for all the assessments. The relevant marking guidelines in no way stipulate that the reflection statement and major work are weighted equally.

Further, it doesn't make sense that it would be worth the same as the major work itself. Not only because of common sense but there is much more emphasis placed on the major work than the reflection statement.

I could be wrong, but as it stands the onus is on you to correct the Board of Studies.

olay

HSC
i think it's more that the reflection can sway the marker's opinion strongly. e.g. they may think your work is insubstantial but after reading ur reflection statement the depth of the work is realised --> a higher mark. OR they may be stunned by its complexity, but because it's not in ur reflection statement they'll be led to believe that what they found in it was not intentional --> a lower mark.

if that makes sense. *i is braindead.*

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
Hmmm, i agree with Olay. Although im not sure if the reflection statement is given an actual mark, i do know that as the supporting documentation of your work it does have a big effect on the markers and how they view your work as they mark.

HSC
N/A
To my knowledge they are marked separately, but they are NOT given separate marks that are later added/divided etc etc. I think it's like all the other major works- if your major work is like, a Band 4, but your Reflection statement is only a Band 2, your mark will fall somewhere in between.

To get a good mark, you need to have a great major work AND a great reflection statement. You can't just have the great major work and a sloppy reflection statement. they may not be weighed equally, but all that's been stressed to me this year is that they're pretty damn close.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)