regional uni's (1 Viewer)

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
do you think that its worth it going to a regional uni - say canberra or that charles sturt uni ?(living in sydney)

apparently they have really good courses,and the UAI mark is lower becasue its further away...

also what do u think about the uni of new england or the Aust catholic uni?? :cool:

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Hey,
I go to the University of Canberra "UC" (www.canberra.edu.au) . Yes, the UAI is lower - mainly because the ACT only has a few thousand that complete college (yr 12), thus there is even less going to uni... The programs are generally the same quality - I do commerce/economics - and the quality of the program is very high. What course u looking at?

pri

HSC
N/A
i was thinking about ANU, does n e body know n e thing about that uni? (major-psychology)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I've heard very good things about ANU (I haven't heard anything about your specific course though). After all, it is the Australian NATIONAL university..... the UAIs are just lower because a lot of people don't really want to live in Canberra!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Also, I live in Albury and CSU here is regarded as offering quality courses. In fact the cut off for physiotherapy here is 96 point something..... pretty high considering Albury is a bit of a hole (it's not that bad...) also the photography course and teaching and health science (speech path, physio, podiatry, OT) have a good reputation too. There is nothing wrong with the courses at regional unis.

bex

HSC
"that charles sturt uni ?(living in sydney)"

gee thanks! ok, im biased cause i actually go to one- CSU Bathurst. But to me it seems like at a regional uni, theres a feeling of being welcome. You exist as a real person. This is mainly due to the fact that the uni population is much smaller than at say Usyd or UTS. We're a lot closer and its alot easier to make friends because a lot of people come without knowing anyone. My sydney friends get jealous when i tell them bout our uni bar nites and how much fun we have. They dont have that kiund of thing at sydney- of course they have a bar but we have so many theme nights etc. AND just cause we're out in the country dont think that we cant get good live entertainment! This year we have had 28 Days and next week are Andy Clockwise, The Superjesus and Skulker. Coming up later in the year are The Living End, and possibly Powderfinger!

Im from Sydney and i have no troubles with transport back.. i usually come home every 2 weeks, some people i know stay the whole term without going home cause they like it there so much.

I also like the way that people from all over Sydney, NSW and Aust come to CSU from so many various backgrounds and pretty much everyone seems to leave their attitudes at the door and just make the most of the people there. Of course you get the snobs who are mainly eastern suburbs types but they dont last very long because they learn that there are other people out there who dont wear Gucci everything (its true.. theyre in my dorm).

I say, check out the courses regional unis offer, then if theres one you feel really strongly about go visit the uni and see if you like the feel of the place.

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
Originally posted by googy_1985
What course u looking at?
i was thinknig arts/sociology.. do you know if that is a good course ther?

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
Originally posted by bex
"that charles sturt uni ?(living in sydney)"

I say, check out the courses regional unis offer, then if theres one you feel really strongly about go visit the uni and see if you like the feel of the place.
sorry i forgot wat is is called...

yeah im strongly considering it.. coz i want to move out of home for uni anyway, so if its canberra or bathurst or wagga whatever, then so be it

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Hell yeah!! Check out regional uni's, I went to CSU Bathurst to see what it was like and fell in love with the place! People are so nice and the atmosphere of the place is so welcoming! You don't get that at Sydney or New South, and like Bex said, you can go home whenever - the Dubbo XPT comes thru a few times everyday and it takes 3 hrs to get back to Sydney, or the Lithgow coach that I'm told takes a little more than half an hour (correct me if I'm wrong - I've never caught it ;))

And Bathurst itself is beatiful - it's the oldest town in NSW and it really shows. I saw the outside of Bathurst Base Hospital (I want to do Nursing, so I figured I go see where i'd be working ;) ) and it's beautiful! Ok, I'm a sucker for old stuff ;) but it's just so authentic there!

But then I hope to move to the bush (I was planning on going back to the Macquarie/Norther Tablelands regions, where my family comes from) but am seriously considering Bathurst! But anyone, my dream to return to the bush pushed my to a regional Uni.

ANU is one of, if not the best Uni in Australia.. It's apparently the highest in international standing/recognition... You should check it out ;)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
You wanna do Social Science (economics) at Sydney? I got a few mates wanting to do that - it's suppose to be really good.

Whats the UAI? It isn't that high is it? (compared to traditional economics, I mean)

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Melbournian,
I go to University of Canberra - I do Economics/COmmerce. - but I do the commerce type of economics

WHat you are looking at, the "arts type" of economics is very popular, especially if you do it with arts! I know a lot of people who also do Law/Economics - but with the arts strand of economics.

Casey

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
what is a VCE? and AAI?

thanks for the info guys.. ill try to go down to both unis for their open days..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)