Regional vs Sydney Schools (1 Viewer)

Trixie Bird

Regional Vs Sydney Schools? The Facts

Do you think it really matters which high school you go to?

I was just checking out the "2004 HSC: School Rankings" and.....

*About 85% of the schools in the top 100 were from the Sydney region.

*Of the top 50 performing schools there were only 2 non-Sydney schools which I could spot (Gosford High School and Merewether High School.....but you can correct me on that one.)

*ALL of the top 25 performing schools were from the Sydney region!

Obviously I know Sydney has a huge population (and thus many more schools) but does anyone else think this is a little crazy?

Do you think you would have been better off going to another school? (Maybe one in Sydney?)

Last edited:

Ashlay

it's the school culture

resources, teachers, people.... it's the motivation of the individual students. The difference between regional and city schools is that in the city schools a UAI of 90+ is pretty much expected (except for the outer suburbs i believe) whereas in the country, this isn't so. The idea of a uai above 90 is deemed to be unrealistic.

I did the last four years of highschool in a town with a population of 1000. there were 24 people in my year and my biggest class had 12 people.
My UAI was 97.95... two years before me a two girls had 89 & 92... the year before that a boy got 96.sth and is doing medicine at UNSW. AT our school for the brighter students there is that confidence that a good uai can be acheived by staying at the school rather then leaving - but the rest of the kids think they're not up to it

davo_

good kid
HSC
My school is pretty similar. It's only reasonably small(town of about 3500, school of about 350), but every year there are probably about 3 or 4 people getting UAIs in the 90's. I know thats nothin compared to some of the sydney schools. We have pretty enthusiastic teachers, and our school is always winning awards and whatnot (just an example, our principal won principal of the year a couple of years ago). Our school is fairly renowned for innovation and shit - its probably one of the better country schools in the state. I dunno if there'd be many 99+ UAIs in the country, but its definitely possible.

Captain pi

HSC
Trixie Bird said:
Do you think it really matters which high school you go to?

I was just checking out the "2004 HSC: School Rankings" and.....

*About 85% of the schools in the top 100 were from the Sydney region.
In a sample space of 100, surely it would have been a precise, integer percentage. Surely, it is precisely 85% or 86% or 84% (I haven't done the calculations, myself.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)