• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Related text help (1 Viewer)

Emolk

HSC
So over the holidays our school is making us present a portfolio containing FIVE (5) pieces of Related Material for the Area of Study Belonging.
I currently have a few ideas and would like some feedback on them, as well as some suggestions for related texts.

Here they are:

- Burial Rites (Novel) by Hannah Bent
- The Hunger Games (Film OR Novel), don't know if i should do the first or second one of doing a film. (Have not read the novels)
- Scream (Painting) OR The outsider (Painting) by Gorden Bennett
- The Office US (TV Series). Concerned about this one. Apparently you are only able to write about one episode? If so, what episode would you guys suggest?

More suggestions would be great, thanks!

study1234

HSC
I got Romulus, Blade runner, Frankenstein, W.B yeats. (Not sure which one you are asking for)
You would be using Romulus, My Father for Belonging. Sorry, I can't offer advice in terms of which related texts would be best for used, as it didn't do Romulus.

However, I would recommend using original related texts, which your peers may not have seen before. I would recommend using older texts, as the marker would be able to connect with them better, and also reflects the amount of research and effort you put in (hence, avoid TV shows like The Office). I would also recommend sticking with novels or films (even if you use only a small portion), because markers think that show more 'depth', and reward them with higher marks.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hscdiscovery -check out this website if you haven't already-it has some very good related text suggestions that complements specifically with your prescribed text, Romulus My Father.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Wouldn't do Hunger Games...it's too "mainstream" haha. Also, I think the focus of the series is too centered upon the revolution, so you might have a bit of difficulty analysing the character's relationships with one another. TBH, I would recommend not doing any "popular culture" type things, i.e. Harry Potter, Twilight.

If you're going to do the Office, you're going to have to rewatch a lot of it to find the good episodes. I would probably use the episode where Michael leaves.

Try using short stories or plays as another medium of related texts. A lot of your texts are quite visual.

Emolk

HSC
hscdiscovery -check out this website if you haven't already-it has some very good related text suggestions that complements specifically with your prescribed text, Romulus My Father.
I had a look at the namesake - do you recommend the film or the book?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I had a look at the namesake - do you recommend the film or the book?
Like rumbleroar said-it is a prescribed text in the area of study for belonging, you can't use either the film or the book. This goes for prescribed text for Standard English and extension one English-don't use related text that are on the prescribed text list for the HSC English courses.

Emolk

HSC
Like rumbleroar said-it is a prescribed text in the area of study for belonging, you can't use either the film or the book. This goes for prescribed text for Standard English and extension one English-don't use related text that are on the prescribed text list for the HSC English courses.
My bad. Could you or rumbleroar suggest a novel from the list?

study1234

HSC
I forget to add: you shouldn't use a related text that's of the same textual form as your prescribed. For example, since Romulus, My Father, is a non-fiction, you shouldn't use another non-fiction text.

Emolk

HSC
I forget to add: you shouldn't use a related text that's of the same textual form as your prescribed. For example, since Romulus, My Father, is a non-fiction, you shouldn't use another non-fiction text.
Hmm thanks. Could you recommend a fiction book and/or a film?

study1234

HSC
Hmm thanks. Could you recommend a fiction book and/or a film?
Haha, sorry I haven't read Romulus, My Father. I would recommend doing some research, and continue asking others for their opinions. That being said, the best related texts are often the most original. However, in the end, it all comes down to the quality of your analysis and how well you link the text to the concept of Belonging and your prescribed text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)