RELATED TEXT SLESSOR POEMS (wild grapes + out of time) (1 Viewer)

Ant..

HSC
Hi,

I need a related text for Kenneth Slessor's poems wild grapes and out of time. A speech would be more preferable but a book is fine too. I was thinking something concerning the inevitability of time/nostalgia/regret. Thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I studied Kenneth Slessor's poetry back when I did my HSC, although I focused on "Vesper-Song Of The Reverend Samuel Marsden" in my assessment task. However, I believe that the related text that I used could also be appropriate for "Wild Grapes" and "Out of Time". I used a novel called "The Wave" by Todd Strasser (pen name being Morton Rhue). If you have not read this novel before, it essentially tells the story of a history teacher, Ben Ross, and the nine days that he changes the face of Gordon High School by running an experiment to show his students how easily they could become Nazis. I believe that this would constitute good related material, especially if you wish to discuss nostalgia and regret.

Another text I would suggest is Hans Christian Andersen's book "The Little Mermaid". The story is quite popular and has seen numerous adaptations of different types. It essentially follows the journey of a young mermaid who is willing to give up her life in the sea as a mermaid to gain a human soul. You may wish to consider this book as I believe it would be good to use as related material. In particular, it would be useful to explore time and nostalgia.

I hope this helps! :D

Stazzawazz

HSC
I studied Kenneth Slessor's poetry back when I did my HSC, although I focused on "Vesper-Song Of The Reverend Samuel Marsden" in my assessment task. However, I believe that the related text that I used could also be appropriate for "Wild Grapes" and "Out of Time". I used a novel called "The Wave" by Todd Strasser (pen name being Morton Rhue). If you have not read this novel before, it essentially tells the story of a history teacher, Ben Ross, and the nine days that he changes the face of Gordon High School by running an experiment to show his students how easily they could become Nazis. I believe that this would constitute good related material, especially if you wish to discuss nostalgia and regret.

Another text I would suggest is Hans Christian Andersen's book "The Little Mermaid". The story is quite popular and has seen numerous adaptations of different types. It essentially follows the journey of a young mermaid who is willing to give up her life in the sea as a mermaid to gain a human soul. You may wish to consider this book as I believe it would be good to use as related material. In particular, it would be useful to explore time and nostalgia.

I hope this helps! :D
I am interested in doing the Samuel Marsden one as I know a great related text I can link to. Just curious - Did you go well with using that poem? I'm finding difficulties linking it to the larger human experience

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I am interested in doing the Samuel Marsden one as I know a great related text I can link to. Just curious - Did you go well with using that poem? I'm finding difficulties linking it to the larger human experience
I received a band 5 by focusing on that poem for my assessment task. I mainly discussed the abuse of power that is prevalent in the poem as well as in the related text that I used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)