relg + ethics (1 Viewer)

jenster

i'm trying to finish my relg + ethics notes and am having trouble finding the nature, role & significance of ethics.

can anyone fill me in?
does anyone else even do ethics!?

CoYLiE

at least it's better than ways of holiness

well i'm the only one in my class doing it (i'm special...hehe) everyone else has to do ways of holiness, so i'm basically on my own for this one... the two traditions i'm doing is christianity and hinduism... well at least you know of one other person doing it :) our teacher wouldn't let sam do it... haha... what a shame

the way i read it in the syllabus was not looking at the nature, role and significance of ethics as a whole, rather, looking at the nature, role and significance of the ethical systems within the traditions.

So... if you're doing christianity as one of the two, look at what are the ten commandments, what they do for christianity and what they mean for practicing christians (maybe looking at the different varients there).

or in Hinduism (the other one i'm doing) something like dharma or something like that...

hope that helps

:)

Originally posted by jenster
righto thanks i'll get on to that. i'm doing christianity and islam by the way
Yup, I'm doing this as well
Here are SOME notes (whether they are relevant or not is debatable though!)
CHRISTIANITY:
*Jesus is the foundation of Christian ethics--he is 'the way, the truth, the life' (Jn 14:6), Christian ethical system emanates from his life and teachings, especially his dual commandment of love of God and love of neighbour.
*The primary source of ethical teaching is the bible, the sacred text
* NT ethics: the NT presents jesus as a moral teacher who perfects of completes jewish ethical demands
*christianity has traditionally based its moral instruction around the 10 commandments
*sermon on the mount and the beatitudes, the lost son (parable) are examples found in the bible of ethical teachings (it asks for specific examples sometimes)
Beliefs and ethics
*humanity is created in the image of god, sin is the opposite of god's will
*through his death and resurrection jesus conquered sin and death and won salvation
*salvation begins with faith in christ
*human destiny is a motivation for ethical living
Diversity in Christian Ethics:
*different variants of christianity have some variations:
-catholics--emphasis on moral reasoning, church tradition and authoritative teaching
-protestant-- reliant on the bible
- orthodox-- biblical authority is central, also on the orthodox spiritual heritage

ISLAM:
*the basis of the ethical system of Islam lies in the intent to live in submission to the will of Allah
* the objective moral norm is found in Shari'a, Islamic Law, found primarily in the Qur'an ad the sunna. THe Shari'a is the code of law for the muslim way of life. It regulates all aspects of life
*The ethical teaching of Shari'a is formed from two areas:
--sacred texts, with the Qur'an as a principal source
--authority within the religious structures of Islam, namely the doctors of the law
*The principal religious duties to which a Muslim is ethically obligated are the Five Pillars Of Islam

jenster

wow thanks that's really nice of you. i'll try and get my notes finished before the exam and send them in to be posted.
fingers crossed

wow thanks that's really nice of you. i'll try and get my notes finished before the exam and send them in to be posted.
fingers crossed
That's okay :)
I only hope it helps you

Christine

beige member
HSC
i do religion and ethics but i'm not doing re notes until after the legal exam.

jenster

yeah i totally understand your logic. i have 5 exams in the first week then 3 weeks until my last exam which is relg. shitty shitty timetable but at least i will get my failing done early and move on.
i reckon with 3 weeks devoted solely to religion, i should nail it

Christine

beige member
HSC
yeah i totally understand your logic. i have 5 exams in the first week then 3 weeks until my last exam which is relg. shitty shitty timetable but at least i will get my failing done early and move on.
i reckon with 3 weeks devoted solely to religion, i should nail it
my thoughts exactly except i have 4 in the first wk then legal then relig

CoYLiE

i feel sorry for the people who do economics having eco the day before the sor exam until 5pm and then having a 3 hour sor exam in the morning!!

i'm not too worried about sor... i hav 10 days to study for it (after the extension english exam)

:cool:

jenster

well in the first week i have business and indonesian until 5pm then modern history the next day. talk about painful. but i'm not whinging. at least i'll get to go out guilt-free friday night!

CoYLiE

hehe... i kind of feel a bit guilty, everyone talking about how many exams they have and in such a small amount of time... i only hav 5 exams and they're stretched out until sor on the last day... except for this week it's only one exam per week...:D

NickyP

i do re and ethics with the hindus and the christians too!! hey do we need to know quotes?? Can i jsut know what book they are from or do i need to know all those numbers next to them and that? and do i need to know many?? and will the exam be hard?? any tips on what to learn thorougly and what to skim??

CoYLiE

i'm sure the markers would like that... like knowing just a couple of quotes form the bagavad-gita or upanishads that relate to something which is said in genesis...
i've got quotes for other sections... but not really ethics yet...
that's for 6am tomorrow! haha

NickyP

can you give me a little example of a comparison between the texts?? do you reckon i suld just say john or will i need to know those gay little numbers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)