Religious Rites (2 Viewers)

Kutay

University
HSC
Hey i have a few questions on the section 2 of the SOR1. i am preparing two separate essay's in case they ask a question on either one. looking at last years one they specified only on one. so i was wondering can they ask on two like rite of passage and rite of public worship in the same essay, or is this a thing they wont do ? thankyou

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
Who knows, my teacher said that they'll most probably go 2 religious rites from 2 religious traditions, and make it a 20 marker.... cuz lately thats what they are doing (so she says).

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
they can ask what ever they want as its in the syllabus!!
eg. They *could* specify the actual rite they want you to write about if they want (have done this in the past).

I dont know how they would word it due it it not being a multi part question but if its in the syllabus, they can ask for it! (hence the danger of prepared responses/essay IMO)

and it will be a 20 mark question (single question with 2 or 3 parts within) no matter what (just to clarify what currysauce said). The structure changed last year from multipart questions (a, b, c) to one question of two / three "directions"/"instructions" within the question.

The reason why they changed the structure was to prevent pre-planned responses as they dont want students second guessing the board as such (not really good assessment technique either as its quite dangerous)

Kutay

University
HSC
Well u can remember a prepared essay like i am doing both ones and just remeber all the infomation from both...

Kutay

University
HSC
Essay Marriage

Hey well anyhow could someone look at an essay i made for in response to rite of passage marriage..

What type of mark would this get me if was related to the question. any suggestions...

thankyou

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
but how do come up with a question? Where do you get the question from? How do you know that your question is good enough or helpful enough for the HSC?

Better to have well prepared study notes that address teh syllabus and the glossary terms......

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Kutay said:
Hey well anyhow could someone look at an essay i made for in response to rite of passage marriage..

What type of mark would this get me if was related to the question. any suggestions...

thankyou
had a look.
Difficult to say how good it is as
a) there is no marking criteria (the other key to HSC tasks which you can not second guess!)
b) your question would be but half of an actual HSC question (if not a third).

You have written an OK response to the second part of the syllabus (noting that the rites section has three parts and more than likely the focus in the HSC will be on the last part) but its more description than analysis (as per your question) IMO. Again, hard to say as the question has been lifted straight form the syllabus. It really should refer more to this stuff though
– the nature, role and function of officiating celebrants
– significance of sacred writings
– use of symbolism
– social structure
– human experiences.

Kutay

University
HSC
Yeh well i have this essay is bassed on the syllabus, anyhow what u think with the information i have given ?

DanielleM

HSC
They asked to talk about both in the CSSA trial
so yes they CAN make us write about both of them in the same thing.
I didn't know that it was possible until I saw the question
Our school replaced our rites question though at the time we had only done marriage

But yeah. Know both and ull be sweet:)

HSC
snapperhead said:
they can ask what ever they want as its in the syllabus!!
eg. They *could* specify the actual rite they want you to write about if they want (have done this in the past).

Do you mean they could specify rites of passage, rites of public worship or rites of personal devotion? Essentially we need to only know two, correct? Such as rites of passage and rites of public worship. They would have to give us some choice in that wouldn't they?

jessied

HSC
Last years HSC rites question

Assess how ONE rite of public worship OR ONE rite of personal devotion is significant to
believers. In your answer, refer to ONE rite you studied in TWO religious traditions.

2003 Rites Question(s)

(a) Name ONE religious rite of personal devotion and the religious tradition
to which it belongs.
(b) For ONE religious tradition, describe a religious rite of public worship OR
a religious rite of personal devotion in relation to ONE of the following:
• the nature, role and function of officiating celebrants
• significance of sacred writings
• use of symbolism
• social structure
• human experiences
(c) For TWO religious traditions, critically evaluate the significance of ONE
religious rite in the everyday lives of believers.

2002 Rites Question(s)
(a) Demonstrate the importance in ONE religious tradition of ONE religious rite
within ONE of the following categories:
• rites of passage
• rites of personal devotion
• rites of public worship
(b) Compare a religious rite from the same category chosen in part (a) in TWO
religious traditions in relation to ONE of the following:
• use of symbolism
• social structure
• human experiences
(c) Choose a religious rite from a different category to that chosen in parts (a) and (b).
Evaluate its effectiveness in maintaining a religious focus in the everyday lives
of believers from TWO religious traditions.

2001 Rites Question
(a) Outline the role of ONE rite of public worship OR rite of personal devotion in
ONE religious tradition.
(b) Explain how the rite of public worship or the rite of personal devotion, chosen in
part (a), makes a difference in the everyday lives of believers.
(c) Evaluate the importance of ONE of the following in a religious rite common to
TWO religious traditions:
• The nature, role and function of officiating celebrants
• Significance of sacred writings
• Use of symbolism
• Social structure
• Human experiences

From those judge/predict for yourself what they will ask..

They can't ever specifially ask you to write about one type of rite (personal devotion, passage, public worship) because they syllabus specifies that you do two and not everyone will choose the same two types of rites.. Thats why they give you the option rite of public worship OR rite or passage OR rite of personal devotion.

As to whether or not they can ask TWO rites in TWO traditions is purely up to the board and whoever rites the question. They can in theory because everyone has studied TWO rites in TWO tradtions. Yes, your essay would be generalised compared to one where you only had to talk about ONE rite in TWO traditions but hey, thats life!

Kutay

University
HSC
jessied said:
Last years HSC rites question

Assess how ONE rite of public worship OR ONE rite of personal devotion is significant to
believers. In your answer, refer to ONE rite you studied in TWO religious traditions.

2003 Rites Question(s)

(a) Name ONE religious rite of personal devotion and the religious tradition
to which it belongs.
(b) For ONE religious tradition, describe a religious rite of public worship OR
a religious rite of personal devotion in relation to ONE of the following:
• use of symbolism
• social structure
• human experiences
(c) For TWO religious traditions, critically evaluate the significance of ONE
religious rite in the everyday lives of believers.

2002 Rites Question(s)
(a) Demonstrate the importance in ONE religious tradition of ONE religious rite
within ONE of the following categories:
• rites of passage
• rites of personal devotion
• rites of public worship
(b) Compare a religious rite from the same category chosen in part (a) in TWO
religious traditions in relation to ONE of the following:
• use of symbolism
• social structure
• human experiences
(c) Choose a religious rite from a different category to that chosen in parts (a) and (b).
Evaluate its effectiveness in maintaining a religious focus in the everyday lives
of believers from TWO religious traditions.

2001 Rites Question
(a) Outline the role of ONE rite of public worship OR rite of personal devotion in
ONE religious tradition.
(b) Explain how the rite of public worship or the rite of personal devotion, chosen in
part (a), makes a difference in the everyday lives of believers.
(c) Evaluate the importance of ONE of the following in a religious rite common to
TWO religious traditions:
• The nature, role and function of officiating celebrants
• Significance of sacred writings
• Use of symbolism
• Social structure
• Human experiences

From those judge/predict for yourself what they will ask..

They can't ever specifially ask you to write about one type of rite (personal devotion, passage, public worship) because they syllabus specifies that you do two and not everyone will choose the same two types of rites.. Thats why they give you the option rite of public worship OR rite or passage OR rite of personal devotion.

As to whether or not they can ask TWO rites in TWO traditions is purely up to the board and whoever rites the question. They can in theory because everyone has studied TWO rites in TWO tradtions. Yes, your essay would be generalised compared to one where you only had to talk about ONE rite in TWO traditions but hey, thats life!

In relation to the last sections... ie the last dot point of the sllyabus, i was wondering because same for instance in my essay i menetion i a lot of symbolism, would that cover one of those five ones u have to choose from and is human experiences just like the effect on the everyday life believer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)