Remebering formulas (1 Viewer)

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Besides... I'm totally against cheating.

I like doing something that I can look back on and be proud of because I did it.

I have cheated b4 in an exam though :(
Not something I'm proud of. But I haven't done it in my Senior Years :D

p00_p00

Different ppl learn differently!

Well this is what i think is best

1) Practice (which i dont do), is good!
2) UNDERSTAND THE FORMULA!!!!!!!!!! Know why it happens and what happens. Dont just remember the sequnce but understand y u differentiate, y u use the finding gr8test coeffeicent stuff (Tk+1 over Tk.... its 3u but just sayin dont remember the formula but understand y and how it works)

This may be more learning but uill never forget.... itd probly be in ur head 4 another 5 years. I know from expereince..... i still dont know how first principles work and b4 and exam i just try 2 memorise it..... not worth learning since its a 1/10000 chance theyll ask it!

And dont complain sayin 2u have 2 remember yr 11 and 12 stuff..... think bout the 3us (who need 2 remember all of yr 11 and 12 2/3u stuff) and the 4u's (those who need 2 remember small parts of the 2u course and all of the 3 and 4u course in 11 and 12!!!)

ben

Originally posted by Angelic_Angel88

That thought actually HAD crossed my mind when I was in the toilet during my Prelim exams.
It freaked me out though, coz I don't cheat.

I was just thinking how easy it would be to cheat though. I mean, no one is monitoring the toilets. LOL.
Our exam people come into the toliet with us and wait! But you can still go into a cubicle i guess. I would never do it anyway - it wastes too much time!

A much easier way to cheat is to write down the formuals on the INSIDE of those flat-hole-puncher thingys.

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Originally posted by p00_p00
And dont complain sayin 2u have 2 remember yr 11 and 12 stuff..... think bout the 3us (who need 2 remember all of yr 11 and 12 2/3u stuff) and the 4u's (those who need 2 remember small parts of the 2u course and all of the 3 and 4u course in 11 and 12!!!)
Hey! That's a VERY good point.

Must be hard to remember all that stuff though, but then again... it's all very easy to you guys isn't it? :(

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
with enough study and preparation, shouldnt b that hard for the 4U's....coz they spend so much time studying it anyway :p

ben

Originally posted by Angelic_Angel88

LOL! Are you serious???

Wow! So much for privacy... but then again, you ARE alone in your own little cubicle. LOL.
There are some people in our exams that seem to go to the toliet like EVERY exam...about 10 minutes after it starts... they probably cheat.
I'm pretty sure it's HSC policy for the people to follow them in the HSC

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
hey! i always go to the bathroom during the exam , but i have NEVER cheated. its just cos i get bored and need to move my legs, walk around a bit, have a smoke (j/k) and all the rest

um yeah i agree with a previous post, the best way to remember the formulas is not to "remember" them as such, but to understand what they mean, where they come from and how they are derived. i find that with mathematics components of understanding are often more benefical than components of memory

Nightshade

Pain in the ass
HSC
Originally posted by ben

Our exam people come into the toliet with us and wait! But you can still go into a cubicle i guess.
They do that in the HSC. And if you really wanna cheet, write it on your upperarm and cover it by your sleeve, making sure you dont get caught out by people noticing the formulas from under or through your sleeve, or even write it on your stomach, because you dont want to pull out a wallet,. etc , since it makes too much noise, and the person who walks in with you might get suspicious.

I was thinking of doing this, but I didnt end up using it. Feel free to use it tho.

ben

Originally posted by Nightshade

They do that in the HSC. And if you really wanna cheet, write it on your upperarm and cover it by your sleeve, making sure you dont get caught out by people noticing the formulas from under or through your sleeve, or even write it on your stomach, because you dont want to pull out a wallet,. etc , since it makes too much noise, and the person who walks in with you might get suspicious.

I was thinking of doing this, but I didnt end up using it. Feel free to use it tho.
Actually, i think a better way is to write in on one of those flat hole-puncher things... you know how they click open.

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Originally posted by ben
There are some people in our exams that seem to go to the toliet like EVERY exam...about 10 minutes after it starts... they probably cheat.
Hey! They could just be going because of nerves and they feel the need to throw up or something. LOL.
Nah... going to the toilet is a nice break from the exam.

Hahaha. This is slowly turning into a 'How to cheat in a Math's exam' thread.

Kinda ironic don't you think? Since this thread originally started with the question of how to 'remember' formulas.

sif not 99

lol yeah i reckon u could so take notes in a pocket and go into the toilet and read them

no i dont do that only ever been to dunny once in an ancient exam and my notes wouldnt fit folded into my pocket anyway

Rogan

on the topic of formula sheets, they actually get them in general!

I cant beleve for catholic trials they get a formula sheet thats bullshit its not balanced out .For a easy subject they should remmember the formulas and us 2 units should get the formula sheet because its a harder course yet they give us a standard integrals sheet i didnt even use. :mad:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
well...mayb they have a lot more formulas to remember in general?

the standard integrals sheet is only ever useful if u do 4U, and to some extent, 3U

Marianna

when doing examples write the formula out before you use it

FOR EVERY EXAMPLE

you just need to keep writing it down thats the only way

put them up on coloured paper around your room like on cupboards and stuff you'll be surprised at how much you remember

Alex

Well I have tried a method that has worked for me.

Go through your prelim and HSC maths textbooks and write down every single formula they could possibly ask you in the HSC. Than write them out again several times. After that get someone to test you on each formula by asking you to write them out. The ones that you get wrong, go do a couple of questions on. Repeating this process (although lengthy) should do the trick and you should memorise all your formulas, but remember, the problem is being able to use the formulas successfully and not actually memorising them.

ben

Originally posted by Alex
Well I have tried a method that has worked for me.

Go through your prelim and HSC maths textbooks and write down every single formula they could possibly ask you in the HSC. Than write them out again several times. After that get someone to test you on each formula by asking you to write them out. The ones that you get wrong, go do a couple of questions on. Repeating this process (although lengthy) should do the trick and you should memorise all your formulas, but remember, the problem is being able to use the formulas successfully and not actually memorising them.
lol, I'd guess that'd work - but do people actually find them that hard to memorise?

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by ben
lol, I'd guess that'd work - but do people actually find them that hard to memorise?
another way would be to list all the formulas you "need" to learn, and then learn how to derive them all. If you can't do that, there's half-half chance you won't be able to do the related problems anyway. Like stuff like sums-to-products and products-to-sums you're not supposed to memorise, just derive on the spot. It's good practice for maths anyway.

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Originally posted by ben
Actually, you'd be surprised.

I find it hard to remember the Trapezoidal and Simpsons Rule. Hehehe. :D

enzi`

heh, the trapeziodal rules is the perfect example of one you don't have to memorise. it's just logic - imagine many trapeziods under the graph and get their ares and add together. it you can't reme area of trapeziod it's logic too. average the sides that aren't equal and pretend it's a recangle...

anyway, as for memorising formualas... my advice is very late, but use parts of the standard integrals sheet to remind you of different parts of the formula you are having trouble with. because you know you will have a standard integrals sheet with you in the exam, the use of parts of it as cues can help jog your memory a great deal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)