Renal Dialysis (1 Viewer)

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
Which part of the nephron compares to the membranes within the dialysis machine...

- the membran of the tubule
- membran of the bowman's capsule
- the capillaries of the surrounding nephron
- the walls of the collecting tubule

why?

i think its the capillaries... little help :p

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
currysauce said:
Which part of the nephron compares to the membranes within the dialysis machine...

- the membran of the tubule
- membran of the bowman's capsule
- the capillaries of the surrounding nephron
- the walls of the collecting tubule

why?

i think its the capillaries... little help :p
im pretty sure the mambranes are just compare to the nephron wall and any part such as the collecting tubule which allows diffusion or active or passive transport. the membrane of the bowmans capsule is probably right aswell.

basically dialysis only allows for diffusion not active and passive trnasport like the nephron. its not the capillaries i dont think. the capillaries can reabsorb nutrients and stuff but its the membrane of the tubules thats most important and most like the membrane in the dialysis machine. you probably dont need to know this much though. just compare the functions

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think they could all be considered as playing the function of membranes in the dialysis machine as they all work in conjunction to add and remove things from the blood

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
ur right... but i put what my good man said b4.... cuz its involved in passive and active transport... anywho... thanks anywayz

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Ok, but just to clarify for others

Renal dialysis only uses passive transport (without using energy) by the diffusion of substance both way in the dialysis membrane between the blood and dialysis fluid.

Kidneys can use both active and passive. Initially the Bowman's capsule membrane allows only substances small enough to fit through to pass, which is done so through high blood pressure so is passive transport.
Active transport is then used to move wanted substances back into the blood from the nephron tubule membranes into the capillary membranes that form a network surrounding the nephron tubules

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
the transportation around bowman's capsule imho should be active, since energy is needed to create this high pressure region, or to transport fluid into this region of high pressure region...

another thing to look for is that with passive transport u usually get an equimolar on both side of membrane... whereas in kidney, u want to remove essentally all urea from the blood stream, so passive tranport is a) to slow b) cannot remove all, therefore cannot suffice...

but yea, u are right abt transportin needed stuff out of nephron tubule are active transportation...

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
xiao1985 said:
the transportation around bowman's capsule imho should be active, since energy is needed to create this high pressure region, or to transport fluid into this region of high pressure region...

another thing to look for is that with passive transport u usually get an equimolar on both side of membrane... whereas in kidney, u want to remove essentally all urea from the blood stream, so passive tranport is a) to slow b) cannot remove all, therefore cannot suffice...

but yea, u are right abt transportin needed stuff out of nephron tubule are active transportation...
thats what i had in my notes about bowman being active transport and also how it is passive transport till equimolar and then active to remove left vover. the dialysis machine doesnt do this aswell as the nephron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)