• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

repeating Year 12? (1 Viewer)

nellyei

HSC
I finished year in 2005, didn't do well in the UMAT and thus didn't get into medicine at any universities.

Now i'm wondering what my options are.

I thought of just doing a degree (something i'm in interested in other than med) and while doing that degree i do the UMAT this year.

But what are my chances of getting into med by doing the UMAT as a uni student?

Hanzo

HSC
repeating year 12 is da stupedest thing n e 1 can do
jus go uni or tafe... and do sumthing that can b recognised and exempt from the course u wanna eventually do

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
repeating yr 12 can lead you to being disadvantged in entry from certain med courses.. notably UMelb

Going to Uni bars you from entry into Med at Adelaide (unless ure at Adelaide)

there are lots of advantages and disadvantages... but it depends on wat u can realistically achieve for a new UAI... or ure 1st yr GPA average

nothing is realli recognised in any course you will do (except gen eds at some schools).. ull have to start from 1st yr again

Raginsheep

HSC
I guy from the year before repeated last year. Unfortunately for him, he failed to get into med again which meant that he effectively wasted a year. Personally, unless I am absolutely certain that ! will at least get an interview, I would do something else.

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Going to Uni bars you from entry into Med at Adelaide (unless ure at Adelaide)
Monash also I think +Po1ntDeXt3r+.

nellyei

HSC
i think i didn't give out as much info as i should have.

I got into Physiotherapy at Newcastle and so now i'm thinking about deferring for one year and in that year doing UMAT and possibly year 12.

I know you guys would be like' its the stupidest thing to do', but i really want to get into med.

Also does this mean i can't apply to Adelaide because i technically got into Uni and also i can't apply to University of Melbourne cause i repeated Year 12?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
u can.. go then.. but it doesnt give u a chance to improve ur UAI

nellyei

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
u can.. go then.. but it doesnt give u a chance to improve ur UAI
I don't really follow? I mean if i do Year 12 again i have a chance of improving my UAI....

Hurri

HSC
nellyei said:
I finished year in 2005, didn't do well in the UMAT and thus didn't get into medicine at any universities.
sounds like the problem isnt your UAI but your UMAT score. Do something like James and just take a year off to own the UMAT. By the way, we can give you better answers if we knew you UAI.

Last edited:

nellyei

HSC
lol believe me it is both my UAI and my UMAT.
I got 93 .05, and around 150 scaled on the UMAT.

btw whos James?

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
James is a regular here and MSO, he took a year off to prep for the UMAT and it looks like it worked out for him :).

Off Topic: Wow Hurri, quick on adding the university banner hehehe.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ok... lets do this again...

IF U DO yr 12 again and improve UAI.. ure disadvantaged in UMelb cos they frown upon it..

if u start uni ... UAdel and Monash wont take u

if u deferred 1 yr and just resat UMAT ure well off

it depends on wat u got for UAI UMAT etc.. cos if u needed vast improvements in UAI then its a small price to pay tat u cant goto UMelb.. like u have said u want to resit yr 12..i am assuming a poor UAI (u can make it worse too!?).. but then u said u have poor UMAT!? .. i am confused about ure state of affairs as well

u need to look at all the unis.. and ure marks and see wats worth doing.

Last edited:

nellyei

HSC
thanx man for the breakdown.
my UAI wasn't very good and nor were my UMAT, so i'll just do Year 12 again and hope for the best. I'm more than willing to take the risk for melbourne.

How would they Melb know that i repeated year 12?

BTW i just realised that i forgot to say that i'm a canberra student, ie i'm not doing HSC.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah see there are shitloads of variables here..

ummmm if u think u can improve ure UAI why not?... but realistically u could get the same or lower :| so u need to be thinking and studying hard..

you need to improve ure UMAT.. like with ppl lik Lexi.. he had lots of potential.. so resit UMAT was lik not realli needed cos he wrangled all the interviews ... and his UAI was just poor .. he took the goin to Uni option instead cos otherwise he loses 1 yr at uni... by doing the HSC twice

Im not too sure.. how they kno.. but i suspect its through the admission centre

gd luck with tat..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm I must say that unless you poor your very BLOOD into doing the HSC again, you are most unlikely to achieve a significant improvement. Repeating the HSC is an option primarily reserved for people who have gone through disadvantage or severe disruption (due to a promising sports/performance career or medical treatment etc), not for people who simply want to do better second time around.

Of every person I have known to resit year 12, none have come back with the 99.xx they were hoping for. Your UAI of 93.xx wasn't bad, and if you could go to uni and get some decent marks you'd be a very viable candidate. I'm sure there's another course which at least interests you (for me it was science and international studies) and doing something you enjoy is bound to make it easier to collect some marks, especially when compared to resitting the cursèd year 12.

Remember, the UMAT is only a one day affair, but what you study will steer a whole year of your life. If you really think it's more important to keep Adelaide and Monash available to you, fair enough. They weren't worth it for me, and I sure as hell wasn't going to put my whole life on hold for undergrad med when I had the GMPs* waiting for me anyway.

*Graduate Medical Programs

Hurri

HSC
Antler said:
Off Topic: Wow Hurri, quick on adding the university banner hehehe.
yea hehehe i think it looks better than some other uni banners *cough* uwa *cough*

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
I also got a question...can I resit UMAT while at uni and say I did well at UMAT this time - have my UAI and UMAT and re-apply for undergraduate? Or does my UAI cancel out as soon as I go to uni??

nellyei

HSC
i heard that ur uni grades start to come into play instead of ur UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)