Report Writing (1 Viewer)

dmassad

HSC
hey can anyone help me out...ive been looking at a few past IT papers and it seems to me that we NEED to know how to write a report

does anyone have any links or examples of a report for IT it would be appreciated

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
Yes and No, it all depends on the question. Ive uploaded one from my trials (only 12/15 for it, it specifies a 'memo' to be written), my other report (14/15) of which has been left at school was approached like an english essay. These are vital marks in the extended response, and therefore, markers are looking for exemplar responses that are similar in quality to that of an englsih response.
For IT, just know industry standards, keep to a logical and structured format, and you'll be fine.

I understand this really doesnt help your IT report query, but feel free to throw up a practice essay im sure everyone here will provide some sort of constructive input.

attached: the question had something to do with me being an occupational health and safety inspector, writing a memo to this office. I was provided with a picture showing various problems. Obviously it will be hard to realte this response without a question but its the best ive got at the moment :p

edit: files off at the moment, what a pathetic scan :| .. give me an hour

Rohan Simpson

I try to teach IT
HSC
N/A
reports

Hey,

The big thing about reports is understanding their structure and style of language. Formal tone, clear structure. This is a major key to the extended answer sections - identify the style of answer (report, form, letter, memo, policy, procedure etc) and understand how they differ (eg, don't do a memo for a report), and the exact request of the questions (define, explain, describe, etc).

For reports;

Report conventions
Reports consist of:
• a title page (stating an appropriate title, the author, the name of the
person commissioning the report, and the date)
• a contents page (indicates content segments and page numbers)
• an introduction (states the purpose of the report)
• the body of the report, which can contain text, tables, graphics
• a conclusion
• a list of references or a bibliography.
Report formatting conventions include:
• a number on all pages except the title page
• consistently applied heading hierarchy – use headings for every section.
• single quotation marks when quoting work from another author
• appropriate entries for books in a list of references (or bibliography) –
name of author; first initial; date of publication; title of publication (in
italics); publisher; place of publication (see section ‘Referencing’
below)
• appropriate entries for articles from newspapers, journals and
magazines in a list of references (or bibliography) – name of author;
first initial; date of publication; the title of the article (in quotation
marks); title of publication (in italics); publisher; place of publication;
date and page number, if appropriate or, if no author is identified,
begin with the title of the publication followed by the year.

Mock up this structure in your answer and they love it. The reference list wouldn't be there probly in the hsc unless you're really good.

Hope this helps - good luck

mcbec

HSC
how long should the report be?? say they ask us to write a report for one of the long response questions (worth 15 marks)... how long should that be??

Rohan Simpson

I try to teach IT
HSC
N/A
how long should a report be

my suggestion is, long enough to answer the question in detail without taking needed time away from other questions. You know how fast you write and how much planning you need for an extended answer - it's a pretty individual thing. Generally speaking though, if it's half to one page, it's probably too short. If it's 5 pages, you will run out of time.

I'd say this - make sure you report has a plan - I'd work out what you want to say in brief on a piece of paper (just headings), then start writing under those headings. If you don't plan it out first, you can't write a decent introduction.

Show your understanding of technical concepts (ie, use the terms and show you know what they mean), and stay aware that this is where you really show that you can pull all the units of competence together - eg, you write a report about OH&S as it relates to hardware.

Just my thoughts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)