Research For Video/Film (1 Viewer)

taxman

make poverty
HSC
What should I research for video? Obviously, I'll research the themes I'll be dealing with and stuff...but as for the genre, what should I be researching and where should I start?

I'm a bit lost as to what I'm doing as far as research is concerned right now, so if anyone can give me a few pointers who did video, or knows of someone who did, that would be like....awesome and stuff.

Me be repping. (Does that actually work in getting people to help? :p)

veridis

droog
HSC
all i'm doing is watching a damn lot of movies and analysing style/techniques and what they add to the narrative element
meaning it sounds impresive for my journal but wont actualy change my end product much
think i need help too
also had a damn lot of research pasted in from the first few weeks about film and script techniques, ie shots, conventions, etc

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
veridis said:
all i'm doing is watching a damn lot of movies and analysing style/techniques and what they add to the narrative element
yeah watching short films helps....tropfest people have put out a dvd of all the finalists for 10 years or something, its called 'gone troppo' and its around $30, its really good to get, as it shows you what you can realistically achieve in a 6 - 8 minute film

veridis said:
also had a damn lot of research pasted in from the first few weeks about film and script techniques, ie shots, conventions, etc
yeah thats another good idea...just put heaps and heaps of stuff in about film techniques and all that crap..read some books, there's a magazine out called 'screen education' your head of english at school might get it, have a look at that...also photocopy relevant stuff about producing short films..

here is a list of some of the stuff i used:
- "The greatest story ever told" Spectrum, Sydney Morning Herald, September 7-8th 2002
- "Myth and Meaning: Australia Film Directors in their own words" Peter Malone [interviewer] (2001) Currency Press Sydney, Australia
- "In Focus: Reading and Viewing Film and Video Texts" Graham Eather (1998) Heinemann Publishing, Melbourne Australia
- "Flicks: Studying Film as a text" Dinah Partridge and Peter Hughes (1992) Oxford University Press

hope that helps!

Alaranth

I've done some stuff with styles and that, like absurdism, realism, lots of isms. I've also watched some showcase stuff. Mostly my reserach will come when I get a story line, then I'm going to delve deep into motivation, location, theme, what have you. I don't have much in my journal yet, it's like a third full, whereas I've started on my second for drama.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
My EE2 journal has about 50 handwritten pages full of brainstorms, character profiles, screenshots of possible locations, storyboards and a bit of research on my character types. I haven't started mine for drama, but I think my script for drama is going to be pretty half arsed anyway since I don't really have many ideas, and am too busy studying for Chem and PD/H/PE plus off-season footy training...man, time management needed!

Thanks for those references Lou, I'll take a look into them at the library later today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)