• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Resignation Letter Draft -- Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Right, so, it's crunch time. This is what I've drafted. Essentially, John and Hayden are awesome managers. Nick's an asshole who's come in and tried to take away our breaks. The company has alwyas kept us back after 5pm for the tills to be counted, which, according to the award is illegal, and we should be paid for: I've recently had extensive (and heated) conversations with Gavin (area manager).

As a business student, I'd not have gone past getting the experiences I've gotten at DSE -- it's been an awesome time in that regard. However, as an employee, it sucks...

Could you read it over and give me any thoughts?
------

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to give 24 hours’ notice of my resignation, as set out in the casual contract of employment (effective 14/08/03). My employment at Dick Smith Electronics has been highly educational, not only in the product and sales knowledge required for my position, but also in providing insight into the operations of a medium-sized retail business. I am highly grateful to my managers and assistant managers for sharing their time and thoughts on various issues in the past, and for their attempts to involve employees in decisions and changes.

I would like to commend and thank John XXXX and Hayden XXXX for their excellent management of the Hornsby store for a large portion of my employment period – their management style was friendly and non-confrontational, spurning excellent attitudes and relationships with staff, without compromising efficiency and effectiveness. Similarly, I’d like to thank our new manager Nick XXXX for our recent educational conversations, and providing a different perspective to management: I wish him luck in future and his management of the Hornsby store. Gavin XXXX has always been accommodating in his time and advice, and our conversations have been very informative and educational; I thank him for this.

I wish the all best to the staff at Hornsby, with their excellent product knowledge and unsurpassed friendliness, making work just that little less stressful and even occasionally, entertaining; best of luck to all, and I hope to see you sometime in the future!

My time at DSE has been an experience which will not be forgotten.

Yours Sincerely,

-------

kylie_robbo

Yep.

Sounds nicer than the one I wrote and handed in yesterday.

You sure that it is only 24hrs notice? You may want to tell them what section and paragraph that is in the Award.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
KylieR said:
You sure that it is only 24hrs notice? You may want to tell them what section and paragraph that is in the Award.
Mmm good idea -- I thought that too, which is why I made reference to the contract.

There's no particular section (except that it's under the heding "termination")... it does say that the "time frame may be extended according to the length of service you have at the time of leaving"... I don't know how much of a "time frame" constitutes a need for much more than that... and if it does I'll be mysteriously sick on the weekend. ;)

I am writing to give 24 hours notice of my resignation, as set out in the casual contract of employment (under section ‘termination’, effective 14/08/03). My employment at Dick Smith Electronics....

Last edited:
T

tactic

Sorry to say but thats on over kill, people don't expect anything like that in a letter of resignation you leave that sort of stuff for your exit interview..

All you should have to write is

Dear [Manager]

As of todays date I am officially tendering my resignation, as per my contract I am giving you X weeks notice and my last day is XX.

Regards
BLAH

sarevok

HSC
I like it; if you part on amiable terms as you seem to be attempting to do, you have a better chance of getting a good reference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)