Resume (1 Viewer)

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Resume Writing Skills

has anyone got a good resume template wich i could use......LOLZ i am really shit at doing them...i am probably gonna end up writing shit that aint true....

Zahid

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i replied in the other thread >> basically its not a good idea and the only people who need to do that are actors, singers and models.. and they see you at the interview anyway (not that they should be discriminating against anyone on their looks)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
no don't do it, you really don't need to. they have to call you to an interview anyway and that's when they suss out what people look like

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I used the Microsoft Word resume template.
I attached the details of my references too.

Be sure to make copies of references that are on paper, and laminate the originals, so if they ask for the original you got it available, and laminated!

Silverstone

Obey, The Law.
HSC
Heres a taste of what i put together in word. What do you think?

RESUME

NAME SILVERSTONE!

ADDRESS UM

CONTACT AHEM!

AGE 17 (Male)

DATE OF BIRTH 09 Oct 1987

EDUCATION,
EXTRA CURRICULAR
ACTIVITIES AND
ACHIEVEMENTS

Education In Suva (Fiji), Adelaide and Sydney.
Recent: St. Pauls Catholic College (Greystanes)

Completion of School Certificate (2002)
Completion of Higher School Certificate (2004)

Selection as a Peer Support Leader (2003, 2004)

Participation in the Catholic Schools Debating
Participating in the Catholic Schools Public Speaking

Participation in the English Competition Participation in the Science Competition
Participation in the Mathematics Competition

Recipient of 3 Principal’s Certificates of Recognition
Recipient of 2 Merit Medallions

Participation in the Siemens Science Experience 2002
Participation as Leader in Kids Congress, 2003 – ACU
Participation in the St Vincent De Paul Food Drive
Participation in the Red Shield Appeal

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
I have been employed as a Data Entry assistant, for a
Stocktake company from July 2004.

SKILLS AND ABILITIES Word Processing (MS Word) Skills
Very Computer Literate

REFEREES - ETC.

rumour

HSC
I wrote my own without looking at any examples, but now I don't think I wrote it correctly, as I haven't had any call backs :(

Or maybe I should just get off the net :p

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Silverstone said:
Heres a taste of what i put together in word.
EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
I have been employed as a Data Entry assistant, for a
Stocktake company from July 2004.

SKILLS AND ABILITIES Word Processing (MS Word) Skills
Very Computer Literate
I hope you padded these out a bit more in your word version. For your old jobs put in what duties and responsibilities you had and any outcomes you've achieved. What did you do in your old job that would make me think you had the experience needed for this one?

Expand on skills and abilities as well and mention specifics. If you've already done that then disregard those two points :)

With your participation things it depends on the job, public speaking would rank higher than charity events if you went for a sales job for example.

A lot of people rewrite their resumes and CVs for every job to suit it beter, make sure keywords are in there so it gets past the first line of filters. A lucky few simply have a one page resume, but that is after many years in a particular industry.

For a government job for example you'd be looking at a 3-5 page resume, a 1-2 page application letter and a 4-15 page essay on how you meet the criteria, along with all kinds of referee and release forms. For other jobs a cover letter and a 2 page resume is enough, then you'll have ones where they just want you to fill in an application form to get you into their system.

Also start dropping or reducing the space for anything older than 4 years or below your highest achievement unless it has special relevance to that particular job. I don't put High School details on mine since I have Bachelors so dropping the SC once you have your HSC is also a possibility.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Zahid said:
has anyone got a good resume template wich i could use......LOLZ i am really shit at doing them...i am probably gonna end up writing shit that aint true....

Zahid
a word of advice, dont bother using templates.

its jus at first givs the employer an impression that this guy, couldnt even be bother to create a resume.

so ur better off by creating a unique resume which would sparkle employers eyes.

this is found to be true in most professional jobs.

superbird

HSC
In all seriousness, I wouldn't make out that you're too smart also. Employers may see you as an eventual threat to them as you are probably smarter than them.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
superbird said:
In all seriousness, I wouldn't make out that you're too smart also. Employers may see you as an eventual threat to them as you are probably smarter than them.
Intelligence is only a problem in a job like stacking shelves at the supermarket not because they see you as a threat but because they think you will likely get bored after a few weeks and leave, meaning they will have to hire someone new again and train them etc. It might sound demeaning but it's not, another example would be if you had a PhD in chemistry and went to work at a gas station as an attendant, they would consider you to be over qualified and not likely to stick around.

Also your employer would like you to be a genius and want to work for them in the right position. Your supervisor is usually the one who might feel threatened and depending on the seriousness of the job your supervisor is not the only person who decides if you get the job or not.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
When intelligent people have a job that is not intellectually challenging, they get bored.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
SpoRTsGaL said:
This is why intelligent people could go for a job that asks for school leavers and no experience is needed so that they can teach the person.
You started with "people" then ended with "person"... Same people/person?
If I interpretted your post correctly, employers can teach intelligent people who are not school leavers (?), so work is, easier? (?)

I'm confused at your wording.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lol i read it as:

intelligent can go for jobs that ask for school leavers (since school leavers are intelligent because they've finished school and the job WANTS people who have finished school which implies they want intelligent people)

on top of that no experience is needed, so it doesn't matter if the person hasn't had any experience because the people at the job will be prepared to teach them what to do.

when i read that post in a rush hours ago it made perfect sense to me, now that i look at it again i'm not so sure!

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You're probably right, iambored.
At a sweeping glance it makes perfect sense, but a thorough read made you scratch your head. Ah the quirks of life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)