• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Retail or Filing? (1 Viewer)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Right. Have a few options...

Option 1: Have been working at my current job for about 23 months... As with most retail employees, I hate it. Currently working for ~$14 an hour, one day a week (at my request for various reasons).

Option 2: A Job is available for filing, in an office environment. $20 an hour, about 4 hours a week. Major problem is that I can imagine it'll get very boring, and possibly (but only possibly!;)) be more tedious than retail. However, it could be good because it's a bit of office experience, which, doing a Business degree, might be a little more useful when in a few years time I apply for an office job... but in the meantime could be very painful.

So... I know I'm the one who has to eventually make the decision, but... yeah. What're your thoughts? I'm being incredibly indecisive and need to be pushed either way! :D

Last edited:

Rory

HSC
Would you be able to do both jobs at the same time or does that conflict with like your .. stuff?
I'd say try out the filing thing, 23months is a longarse time of retail and a change of scenery would be nice, plus the office experience would be good in general and with the whole business degree thing.

Even if it gets boring you'll find a way to make it more interesting and the money is reasonably better so why not, plus with the whole 23months worth of retail experience, it wouldn't be too hard for you to find another retail job if this filing thing doesn't work out.

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
you could always do both...and see which one you like better..do retail on weekends if you want..currentlym i have been working in retail for like 6 months and i already hate it and wouldn't mind doing a filling job..at least you don't have to deal with pesky customers!..anyway just do a trial of both and then decide..

mishka

HSC
N/A
i did retail (kmart) for 2 1/2 years and I got so sick of it...

i had two jobs going (sort of a filing, data entry, retrieval thing) at one time, but i decided to ditch the retail because i was only getting 3 hours a week.

filing and data entry does get monotonous, but 4 hours a week shouldn't be too hard. i do 10 and i cope just fine :p

and then you get the bonus of some sort of related job to do with your business degree. it might just be that foot in the door, you know!! :)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I would say try something new if you can't do both at once. You will never know if you never give it a go.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
do both, the other one is only 4 hours

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Skittled said:
Right. Have a few options...

Option 1: Have been working at my current job for about 23 months... As with most retail employees, I hate it. Currently working for ~$14 an hour, one day a week (at my request for various reasons).

Option 2: A Job is available for filing, in an office environment. $20 an hour, about 4 hours a week. Major problem is that I can imagine it'll get very boring, and possibly (but only possibly!;)) be more tedious than retail. However, it could be good because it's a bit of office experience, which, doing a Business degree, might be a little more useful when in a few years time I apply for an office job... but in the meantime could be very painful.

So... I know I'm the one who has to eventually make the decision, but... yeah. What're your thoughts? I'm being incredibly indecisive and need to be pushed either way! :D
Having done the office bitch job for two years whilst in high school, i must say it wasnt all bad, primarily the rate of pay and the lack of any real 'work' plus its good if you happen to find someone you can talk to while there, (met my ex through this rofl)

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
I work in an office full-time and filing, for me, is by far the most tedious, boring work ever. I'll do anything to get out of doing it. I don't care that I'm being paid to do it, I just can't stand doing it.

Apart from being hideously boring, paper is vicious and for some reason paper cuts hurt more than regular stabbed-myself-with-a-knife cuts.

Don't do the filing.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If you can't do both do the filing, it can lead to better jobs eg secretary or support staff and is a bludge.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
...most people said:
I'd love to, but having Youth Allowance makes that rather unrational... it works out better to not work, than to work. Otherwise, I'd be thinking along exactly the same lines! :)

Hippy La-Laa said:
Don't do the filing.
I think that's what I wanted to hear, becuase I can imagine myself getting very bored.

(Btw, ta Asylum for your opinion... very true, but I don't know that I could deal with it ;))

Thanks everyone for your opinions! Job's going to be left unapplied to, I'll stay in my crappy retail job until... well... sometime. Think I'll do some work experience, because that'll get the experience I want for better jobs in the future, and should be more interesting... and because of the lovely Centrelink, money's not so much a problem :D
Thanks again for your opinions!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I should go apply for Youth Allowance, i need it bad rofl

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
LOL it's so funny how it is better off not to work more than a certain amount of hours when you are on YA.... it's so funny as well when you have to try and explain it to people.

x-y-z

HSC
Where can you find a filing job? I've never seen a job like that advertised, especially not one with only 4 hours a week. I'd really like something like that on top of my retail job.

7th Sign

HSC
x-y-z said:
Where can you find a filing job? I've never seen a job like that advertised, especially not one with only 4 hours a week. I'd really like something like that on top of my retail job.

yeah where do u find a office filling job for 4 hours sounds nice :D

local newpaper dosnt have that kind of thing :D

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Macquarie Univeristy CareerHub. It's at Ryde, or something, this job. I'm listening to a lecture at the moment (or, should be! :D), so I'll edit the contact details into here if it's still open.

Edit:
Casual Filing Clerk

POSITION: Casual Filing Clerk
ADDED: 5-Aug-2005
CLOSES: 4-Sep-2005
HOURS: Casual/PT ATTACHMENT:
Phone: 02 98788055
Email: anitah@trane.com
REMUNERATION: $20 p/h
DETAILS: Trane Australia is seeking a flexible person to join our team as a Casual Filing Clerk. The roles focus is to assist our busy payroll department with maintaining the files. We are flexible as to which days the successful applicant works, however the average hours per week is 4. APPLICATION PROCEDURES: To apply please contact Anita Hill, HR, Trane, by email anitah@trane.com or fax number 9878 8284.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)