• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Risky business (1 Viewer)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
I've got a chemistry depth study I'm doing atm where I've got to provide a 'comprhensive' risk assessment for my prac. They've assigned this 4 marks so I need to pretend I've considered a lot of risks. What are some easy 'risks' I can write down like 'paper cut' that I can use to bolster my report. For reference, this is my prac here:
1687300641920.png

indeed

HSC
Glass falling off the bench and cutting skin, water spilled on floor (slipping), acid corrosive to skin, retort stand falling off bench hitting foot

wizzkids

HSC
This is not trivial - your risk assessment should be taken seriously. Always start with considering "risk to eyes". This is the most common accident in the Chemistry lab and potentially has the most severe consequences.
Your prac is going to be generating and collecting hydrogen gas, and it looks like a considerable volume of hydrogen gas. Have you ever experienced a hydrogen gas explosion?
Your risk assessment should be laid out in the form of a table with your triage of risk. Due to the design of your apparatus, you have to consider the consequences of a hydrogen gas explosion, reverse siphoning liquid from the water trough to the reaction flask, and spillage of acid.

Column 1 - Identify the hazard, e.g. ignition of hydrogen
Column 2 - Possibility to eliminate the item or replace the item with something with less risk
Column 3 - What you are going to do about the remaining risk, e.g. personal protective equipment, ventilation, display signage, remove ignition sources, dilute wastes before disposal to the sewer, etc etc

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)