• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rome 44-31 (1 Viewer)

JoshJesse

HSC
Gday guys, I have an Research essay to do in class for my assesments this term. The question is:

"For a Period of 5 years, three men were to hold power under the familar pretext of setting the Roman state in Order" - Syme.
Explain why Antony, Lepidus and Octavian formed an alliance? Why did this Alliance break down?

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any web pages that would be helpful for my research? or any notes they might have?

Cheers

JJ

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Welcome Josh,

First things first, websites in Ancient history is a cardinal sin, unless its from a respected journal or translation.

Look for the 'Second Triumvirate'

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The key thing this question deals with is "The second triumvirate"
Many useful sites here:

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=The+second+triumvirate&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Triumvirate

EDIT: Yes to back up what Asylum said about websites....use them to aid your understanding, and to help you develop your ideas, but you have to then find credible sources to back those ideas up....

__

I would approach this question by analysing the reasons each of the triumvirs joined the alliance....the benefits to each, (i.e what was in it for each of them, bacially the rationale behind the triumvirate), and then a discussion of its activities (relating back to why it was formed, and also looking at how some of the things contributed to its demise.) Then look at the breakdown of the alliance with the victory of octavian...

"Like the First Triumvirate, the Second Triumvirate was ultimately unstable and could not withstand internal jealousies and ambitions" Also mention Otcavian's mastery of political and social minipulation. He was unsupased in his astute political skill.

Oh and DONT FORGET TO INCLUDE SOURCES/QUOTES etc. Back up everything you say with a mixture of contempory and historcial commentary

Last edited:

JoshJesse

HSC
Haha thanks guys,

yes ive been told websites are generally dodgy for history sources.

I plan to go to macquarie uni to get books & references on the second triumverate. some one has suggested references like Sallast. any other books, articles, refferences, authors, that i should find and use?

Thanks for the help

JJ

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ancient:

Appian
Dio Cassius
Cicero
Livy
Velleius PAterculus
Plutarch
Suetonius

Modern:

H. H. Scullard, From Gracchi to Nero
T. R. Holmes, The Architect of the Roman Empire
M. A. Levi, Ottaviano Capoparte
J. M. Carter, The Battle of Actium

Most of the ancient sources should be available in some form of Penguin or Loeb translation, and the modern books should be accessible through the library.

First port of call at Macquarie is the reserve section, its just to the right of the desk as you enter. You can't take books out, but most of the essential reading is there, such as the translations and key modern texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)