• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rounding regarding HSC marks (1 Viewer)

yolobolo

HSC
Hello so I have a question: Does the hsc always round up for the average between your internals and externals?

e.g. if I was to get 90 internals and 93 externals, would this go to a 92 hsc mark? Or are there some cases where its 91.

I'm guessing this goes for the other way too, i.e. 93 internals and 90 externals, what mark should I expect? Thanks

yolobolo

HSC
wait so like you know how some people get the same aligned mark despite differences in raw marks, by your statement does this means that there is technically a difference between them?

So i.e. mx1, i get 55/70 which is like a 94. But if 54/70 is also scaled to a 94, then even though we get the same scaled mark, I'm still doing better?

Does this apply for school internals as well?
I.e. English my average is currently a 93%, which is equivalent to like a 94 internals. But if 92.5 was also a 94, but 92.4 was scaled to a 93, will they account for my 0.5% greater than the person who got 92.5 weighted average despite the same "displayed" mark? And would the person who got 92.4 be significantly lower than the 92.5 since they got 93 rather than 94 (which changes +/- 0.1 atar for me), or is a lot closer.

carrotsss

HSC
wait so like you know how some people get the same aligned mark despite differences in raw marks, by your statement does this means that there is technically a difference between them?

So i.e. mx1, i get 55/70 which is like a 94. But if 54/70 is also scaled to a 94, then even though we get the same scaled mark, I'm still doing better?

Does this apply for school internals as well?
I.e. English my average is currently a 93%, which is equivalent to like a 94 internals. But if 92.5 was also a 94, but 92.4 was scaled to a 93, will they account for my 0.5% greater than the person who got 92.5 weighted average despite the same "displayed" mark? And would the person who got 92.4 be significantly lower than the 92.5 since they got 93 rather than 94 (which changes +/- 0.1 atar for me), or is a lot closer.
yes, all marks are actually stored to 2 decimal places for the ATAR calculation. this also applies to internal marks iirc so you’ll be closer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)