• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rsi. (2 Viewers)

X

xeuyrawp

today I had an assignment due for Greek history, it was 2000 words, and I did the majority of it last night, was up til 3ish.

anyway, while I was typing, I noticed that my right arm didn't want to move to the mouse as much, so I moved the curser around with the arrow keys, and then gave up and pushed myself to use the mouse. I was constantly typing, stopping, moving the mouse, typing etc; lots of footnotes, lots of highlighting and copying. Very repetitive.

I woke up at about 5 and was holding onto my arm- "something's not right", I tried to move, and the pain came. It shot from my shoulder all across my back, and then down to my wrist. I knew straight away what it was- I'd had it before in my hand from typing, but this was 1000 times worse, and I'd heard about it in DT.

I'm so pissed at myself for not looking after myself properly, I did take breaks every so often, but it's a lesson that being lame and stretching is necessary.

I've currently got my right arm in a sling, which I can barely move. I went to a doctor at uni, and she said I'll be in a sling for at least a week. I've got all these lame exercises to do, as well. She also said that it'd be a good idea to reduce the sensitivity of my mouse- I had it that it'd move diagonally across the screen in under an inch- not a good idea, apparently.

Has anyone else ever gotten the same thing? I guy I worked with got it in his fingers from typing on a num-pad, but not as bad as this.

If nothing, it's a lesson to everyone else: stretch, take breaks in all-nighters, turn the sensitivity down, use less footnotes, do less last-minute work, etc:p.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah from what you told me it sounds as if you got carpal tunnel syndrome which isnt really pleasant...but yeah take it easy

fortunately i havent experienced it before but i can imagine that it must be pretty painful and difficult.

did you end up finishing your assignment by the way? :p

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
yeah i've had rsi.
I used to get it in high school, can't remember why.
Anyway i had it last week cos i had hours of cutting out templates in the shapes of leaves for my primary class with a stanley knife. couldn't move my hand for the next few days.

Get better soon! Otherwise you're going to have a lot of trouble with assessments, assignments and exams!

X

xeuyrawp

tomorrows_angel said:
Get better soon! Otherwise you're going to have a lot of trouble with assessments, assignments and exams!

aww thnks and yes, i finished it yesterday

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ive only had one really frightening experience when after 2 3 hour exams and a night before of absolute cramming, my wrist to my fingertips were tingling.

I didnt touch a computer for a week and havent pushed myself to that extent since fearing further complications.

Hope you get better dude, exams a few weeks away and 3 hour AHST exams do take a shitload out of you.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Ouch, that sounds painful =\. Sorry to hear about that. Get well soon! I've experience small pains in my hands but nothing really serious. I can't get myself to concentrate for more than an hour at a time anyways, even if I have an assignment due the next day, so I guess its good in that sense that I take breaks, haha. I'll start doing other stuff like listen to music or watch some video files and stuff.

X

xeuyrawp

hahaha thanks for all the "get well soon"- I don't deserve it :D

But yes, I've currently squeezing one of those Baseball-player tong things. Cost like $40. Sleep is really the worst part about RSI.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
wow rsi actually does exists, i thought it was jsut people complaining!

i've never had it before but yeah it soudns really bad.

X

xeuyrawp

i thought it was just people getting off work.
Trust me, it exists.

S

Shuter

h I had bruning RSI once in my wrist when I was younger. Never had it since though and for that I'm glad, I tihnk I've adapted to computers and will never get it again.

X

xeuyrawp

Shuter said:
I tihnk I've adapted to computers and will never get it again.
I would have thought that I had, too. I spend a lot of time infront of the screen.

doe

HSC
N/A
i get this in my right wrist. i do most of my work on a laptop and the mouse pad doesnt help, im going to get a real mouse. at home ive learnt to use my mouse with my left hand, and have one of those padded wrist rests.

i dont have it as bad as you, but rsi really sucks. if any of you spend more than a few hours a day on the computer, i would really encourage you get a wrist rest or something, cause in time it will catch up with you.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I need to invest in a wrist rest thingy....I'm getting shoulder problems. sigh.

X

xeuyrawp

apparently, you should have your wrists above yoru fingers, so the top of you hand slopes down towards the monitor, not up.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Yeah, hence the wrist thingies. But they cost money and I'm moving. sigh.

doe

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
She also said that it'd be a good idea to reduce the sensitivity of my mouse- I had it that it'd move diagonally across the screen in under an inch- not a good idea, apparently.
why is that not a good idea? i wouldve thought the less you have to move it the less you have to bend your wrist to odd angles

i got some usb mice today, no more laptop touchpad, yay!

X

xeuyrawp

doe said:
why is that not a good idea? i wouldve thought the less you have to move it the less you have to bend your wrist to odd angles
Apparently RSI happens more frequently with consistent, fine movement. Greater movement of the mouse would have made me move my arm more, and also in different directions, whereas the fine moving of the mouse apparently augmented with the constant keyboard-to-mouse movement and fucked up my entire right arm. I can type perfectly, though, but I'm using my left hand on the mouse. ItI got out of the sling 2 days ago, though, which is better than expected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)