• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rural entry (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Hi all,
For all us "rural" aspiring med students in 2006 (and beyond), which Unis have special entry categories for us?

I know there is UNCLE, and UNSW, but I dont know much about that. Any info would be much appreciated!!

- m

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm?

Well, they only really accept people from Queensland, a rural area and/or (primarily) both. If you can't convince them that you think of yourself as a rural kid, they just don't interview you.

Edit: woah, 6600 posts.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i wish you many many congratulations for your massive postcount. Let's throw a party in honour of it!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok ok enough spam, is anyone else going to help with this question? I don't really know anything about rural entry since there's no way I would ever qualify.

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Ok ok enough spam, is anyone else going to help with this question? I don't really know anything about rural entry since there's no way I would ever qualify.
... What do you mean to infer by "anyone else"? :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
anyone else = other ppl besides himself..

i thought tat was a fairly uncomplicated inference?

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Yeah, more a snide comment about the part where he said "is anyone else going to help with this question?" - inferring that I don't really equate his spamming about his post count as helping me find out more about furthering my education... But thank you for correcting me.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I wasn't spamming about my post count. That comment was a mere annex to an on-topic post. I take no responsibility for the posts replying to mine.

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
My apologies Lexicographer. (It must have been the "whoa, 6600 posts" part which threw me... :D)

It seems I am the only one around who is interested in rural entry. In which case, perhaps I should initiate some legwork of my own. Thank you for your time gentlemen,
Yours in the respect due to you ( to "baby docs" from a hopeful),
m111

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i prefer to be called a student doctor.. which is wat my intern refers to me as :D

id say that the support for rural is better at UNCLE than UNSW.. but thats from observation of course outlines...
there is a kewl initiative at Adelaide.. that allows most students (yr 1 -3) to do a rural clinical placement for 1 week.. and in 5th yr.. u can work in a rural town for either 1 yr or 6 weeks .. tat count towards a bonded place placements.. same lectures via teleconf..

as a rural student ud want the best support possible.. id say if u get med.. go for john flynn scholarship.. recommended for all students.. esp rural/ bonded.. because its an awesome experience.. and makes ure med studies more in perspective...

yeah go and find the rural health or med soc for info about rural stuff.. and contact faculty for rural-pref entrance.. but there are criterion for that lik .. u need to hav lived in rural for x amount of yrs

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I get "UWA STUDENT DOCTOR" card sometime this semester, probably just before Rural Week. I am told it's a massive ego boost.

I know that everyone likes calling us "student doctors" to make us feel responsible and such, but once you get out you're lower than the janitor. :eek:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I settled on it in the beginning of year 12, but I wasn't really certain until last year, when I had to decide whether or not I'd try to get in a second time. However, even now I'm not absolutely sure that this is where I belong.

It's too early to know.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmmm .. thats a good question.. most ppl dun find out till later..
one of the docs we had son changed his mind in 5th yr.. 1 yr to graduation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)