• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

SAM broken (1 Viewer)

abdullah_legend

Hey dat SAM thing predicted a UAI in da 30s 4 me wif da marks i hav been getting. Dats wrong coz my average isnt 30 i hav passed most things. I think u should fix it. I wanna know my uai!

Captain pi

HSC
abdullah_legend said:
Hey dat SAM thing predicted a UAI in da 30s 4 me wif da marks i hav been getting. Dats wrong coz my average isnt 30 i hav passed most things. I think u should fix it. I wanna know my uai!
Caution: the marks you enter into SAM are often substantially different to the marks you have been receiving in tests.

We can give you predictions on aligned marks (with a degree of inaccuracy); but, we will need more information about your school and your position in that school.

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
so captain pi...Does the school u go to affect ur hsc mark apart from the ranks. i go to riverview does that make a difference.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Tommy_69 said:
so captain pi...Does the school u go to affect ur hsc mark apart from the ranks. i go to riverview does that make a difference.
short answer, yes.

Example:

I got 92 for english advanced in school assessment. However, seeing its a boy school and applying all the discrimating/statistics figures, they submitted my mark as a lowly 87.

now, of course my HSC exam mark was much higher, and hence pulled it back to a band 6.

Depending on your school and how it performs usually, your school will submit a scaled mark to the BOS.

The reason is, using my example, if I don't get 92 or above in the actual exam, then my school's standards will look bad if they submits all these high assessment marks and they don't 'keep the marks' in the exam.

Hence, if I went to an englishy school, they won't submit such a lower mark and hence, my HSC mark will be even higher. say.. 92,96 = 94 instead of 88,96 = 93

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
School doesnt really make that much difference. Obviously in a more academically able school you will feel compelled to try harder as the standard is much higher, whereas if you are at a less academically able school where people dont put in the effort, you could be kidding yourself about what UAI you are going to get even if you are ranked top 5 for everything. That of course is an extreme. Riverview is a good school. Put in some hard work and you'll get good results. The more you work/more efficiently you work, the better UAI you are going to get no matter which school you attend.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
With most subjects, if you don't want to get scaled down you've got to be getting in the 80s-90s.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Lazarus said:
Eagles - none of that is true, sorry.

You should dig around in the Technical Arcana forum if you want real answers.
What do you mean?

My careers advisor told me that that's the case with our school. Something along the lines of: I would have got a better result if I was in a girl school.. :p

Yes, I know.. sad but true.

-------------
sry, got carried away there.

abdullah_legend - the uai is a rank, not a mark.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Eagles said:
My careers advisor told me that that's the case with our school. Something along the lines of: I would have got a better result if I was in a girl school.. :p
It would seem that your careers advisor is a little confused...

Your school could add 10 marks to everyone's total and it wouldn't make a difference. (This could happen where a school marks particularly leniently.)

The moderating procedures make assessment marks comparable between schools.

They've been discussed exhaustively in the Technical forum.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
abdullah_legend said:
Remember that a UAI is a ranking, not an average or an aggregate of your HSC marks. Additionally, as mentioned earlier, you can't use raw school assessment marks to predict your UAI accurately.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
velox said:
the aggregate is ranked right? So the top 21 aggregates get 100 ?
A particular percentage get 100 - you'll have to ask Laz for the exact figure...but since the candidature's been around 65 000 in recent years, the number of people with 100 has been around 20...from memory it might be the top 0.0275%

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The top 0.025% of the corresponding School Certificate candidature receive UAIs of 100.

This typically equates to around 21 or 22 HSC students.

The next 0.05% receive UAIs of 99.95, and so on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)