• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

SAM ~ Good News? (1 Viewer)

CyclicalDemise

HSC
I've been aiming for a UAI in the high 90s and so far am ranked mostly 1st or 2nd. With UAI estimators such as SAM and JUAI I have been putting the marks that I predict I will get in the HSC and it appears that I need to get around 94 for all of my subjects.

I have read many articles and threads about moderated marks, scaling and aligning but for the most part I am still confused.

I noticed that for SAM the marks entered are under the title "aligned HSC mark"

Then when trying to find out what aligned marks were I read that your HSC mark is used in calculating the UAI but as for bands an aligned mark is used and this can mean that an HSC mark of 82 for example correlates to an aligned mark of 90 or so. This made me wonder if perhaps instead of needing raw 94% in my HSC exams a mark of 80 something will be aligned to 90 something and therefore it won't be as hard.

I guess the problems with this thinking are that a.) my view of aligned marks is completely wrong or b.) some times because of the difficulty/easiness of the exam, an HSC exam mark can be aligned down instead of up

So if anyone can let me know if this is true or what faults there are that'd be great

williamc

HSC
CyclicalDemise said:
Then when trying to find out what aligned marks were I read that your HSC mark is used in calculating the UAI but as for bands an aligned mark is used and this can mean that an HSC mark of 82 for example correlates to an aligned mark of 90 or so. This made me wonder if perhaps instead of needing raw 94% in my HSC exams a mark of 80 something will be aligned to 90 something and therefore it won't be as hard.

I guess the problems with this thinking are that a.) my view of aligned marks is completely wrong or b.) some times because of the difficulty/easiness of the exam, an HSC exam mark can be aligned down instead of up
1) The scaling of raw marks is used to get your UAI.
2) Your raw HSC exam mark gets aligned to a certain mark, to were that mark meets course standards. Marks are usually aligned up. http://community.boredofstudies.org/134/uai-hsc-marks-technical-arcana/34578/raw-band-cut-offs-updated-15-09-04-a.html

3) I don't think a subject would be aligned down. Although, marks might not be aligned up as much from year to year with an easier test.

CyclicalDemise

HSC
Ok.
Knowing all this is it the aligned marks (which are usually aligned up but of course can be down) that are supposed to be entered into the SAM marks column and therefore putting in all 92 could realistically give a result that raw marks of 80 something can achieve?

williamc

HSC
Yes.

Ie. for 2 unit maths you but in an alinged mark of 90, if you expect to score around 80% raw, an aligned mark of 80 if you expect to score around 60% raw.

HSC
in your situation it would probably depend on what subjects you do. if you're doing high scaling subjects something like 80%+ raw would probably be sufficient. if you're doing less high scaling subjects then you might need to go a little better

me121

Premium Member
HSC
UAC uses your Raw HSC Marks (ie. raw exam mark + moderated school assessment mark) in the calculation of your UAI. But as these RAW marks are not usually told to students, UAC published the equivalent Aligned HSC mark (the one that related to bands that on you final HSC report) and scaled marks. This means that the marks you enter into SAM are the ones you predict for what's on your HSC Report. ie. if you expect a band 6 then enter a mark from 91-100 (or maybe its 90-100, dunno). SAM will then predict your UAI (within a couple of dp usually) as to your UAI in that year based on your HSC marks.

Don't worry about RAW marks...

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
woah im in the same boat as you, i need to get all 94s (aligned) to get the uai of 98.1 that i want.
though my raw marks for school assessments and my ranks are 1st-5th in everything as well as my marks being 80-100 in all subjects and i go to a school in the top 200 so i'm hoping that i'll get pushed up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)