• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Same subjects anybody?? (1 Viewer)

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Hey, just interested to see how many people are in the same boat with me with their prelim HSC subjects for yr 11 2016!

Adv. English

Adv. Maths

Ext. Maths

Physics

Chem

Bio

SOR 1

AND if you are doing these subjects currently, can u please comment about :
what you like about them or disliked
pros and cons
level of difficulty
tips before starting the subjects
Was time management an issue or not?
Things u wish u were told before taking them up

Thanks

Last edited:

blackbird_14

HSC
I wish I was told that English was compulsory lol. JK I already knew but it's seriously a pain in the ass. English took up the bulk of my studying, easily 40% of it, and it paid off, I ranked 9th in the grade. Everything else had the other 60% to contend for my attention. So I guess time management was a minor issue, but it's more to do with how productive the time spent was- I probably do fewer hours of homework than others, but I tend to stay on task.

Ext. Maths isn't that bad, though it requires the attention of a 2 unit course even though its only worth 1 unit. It's actually quite interesting, once you get the harder concepts though! 2U Maths will feel like a walk in the park afterwards.

Biology was the subject that I spent the least time on, and I warn you now that the Year 11 course is half interesting (Patterns in Nature and A Local Ecosystem), and the other half focuses on evolution and australian plants. That was boring as bat shit but I'm told the Year 12 course gets better but it was my lowest ranking subject so I dropped it. Whenever you study for Biology, make sure to remember examples and specific details about them- there's always at least one question.

Chemistry was fun- and tbh I liked the calculations involved once you got what you had to do. It's hard I guess, but not really at the same time. If the concepts click with you immediately, then it's not that hard. The one thing I remember from last year was my first chemistry lesson where our teacher greeted us with: "Chemistry is a hard course. Half of you will FAIL!"
Practice questions are the best- honestly don't start doing them a day before (like me) because they really do force you to retrieve archived or forgotten knowledge.

Good luck in your Prelim year, take it as a test run but don't stay at home and study your ass off. It's more about the work ethic, time management and skills that you develop now that will carry over into the HSC year.

prxyal007

HSC
all same except bio (I have business)

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the advice, I honestly dislike every second of English but it's compulsory... The bio syllabus for yr 11 is extremely boring but I am still taking it because I'd rather learn about ecosystems than regurgitate a bunch of essays for business. That would have been quite confronting when your teacher said that , "half of you will fail".

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Q. for maths advanced are you guys using maths in focus textbook?

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
I am using Fitzpatrick and Cambridge as well for my own study , but my school requires us to use maths in focus .

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
I am using Fitzpatrick and Cambridge as well for my own study , but my school requires us to use maths in focus .
my school uses fitzpatrick and i can also borrow Cambridge from them.
pree good for 300+ school lol

Anthel

HSC
N/A
Do you have any idea what textbook you're using for Bio and Chem?

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Biology in focus+ dot point preliminary biology

Conquering chemistry + dot point preliminary chemistry

Silky_Smooth

HSC
Pretty much the same except I'm unsure whether to continue Bio based on what others have said about the course

blackbird_14

HSC
If you like memorising facts about biology, do biology. It's half decent and for me it's better than doing other courses- personal preference.

Yeah we use maths in focus (bleh) even though our schools ranked like 50 this year (usually around 70)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)