San Francisco, New York, Toronto (1 Viewer)

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
I'm planning a university exchange year and I've narrowed my choices down to 3. University of California Berkeley, University of Toronto and Cornell University in Ithaca New York state. Has anyone been to these places ? I'd appreciate any comments.......thanks !

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
UC-Berkeley would be fine, if you don't mind the sight of people wrapped around the base of a traffic light pole in a drug overdose at 8am.
Can't comment on the others.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Depends on what you want to study and what they can offer you in that area. Also comes down to personal choice as well, I guess. Where would you most like to live for a year? I think that plays a pretty significant part.

elisabeth

HSC
Think about which place you'd prefer in relation to some of these things: climate, population, course offerings, travel opportunities, living expenses, job availabilities (if you can/want to get a part time job while you study), academic reputation, accommodation, whatever.

Having said that, my vote would be Toronto... I have some friends there, I'd love to visit them. :D It's my ideal climate and a nice city.

Let us know which one you end up picking.

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
i only know of toronto in canada..........but i'm sure there's one in the usa, like a small town or something.

Collin

HSC
N/A
UCLA is a pretty prestigious uni (in the world top 6 or something), can you just get in like that? If so, then definitely go there.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I have been to NY and San Fran.

Quick Impressions of NY:
- Large, fast, crowded, history, central park, empire state, noisy.

In summary: NY is fun if you like city life. There is lots of cultural activities. It did not feel as unsafe as people claim (in terms of terrorism AND crime like muggings). Eating out is reasonable (compared to the rest of America), but shopping (for food say) is expensive in Manhatten.

Quick Impressions of San Fan:
- California, harbour, trams, hilly, golden gate bridge.

In summary: It's california, so you know the weather is good. You are not too far from LA, which is definately worth a look if you are in CA. Trams make getting around the hilly city much easier.

I don't know if that helped. If you have specific question about either city, ask, and I can try and help you out.

mischaa

HSC
N/A
Cornell is an Ivy League school. They get alot of funding and attract the best faculty. I'd go there.

music dr

the little mermaid
HSC
I'm going to San Franciso - it's supposed to have a REALLY REALLY good uni there - plus my fav US shop is like around the corner....

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
natstar said:
I havent been to any of those places, but go to UCLA...i mean its california
Oh yes! UCLA is my dream University. Actually, if I ever went there I probably wouldn't end up attending:p. Anyway, babez_hamp, what University are you attending in Australia? Your University has to have connections with these Universities. Newcastle University doesn't have connections with any Universities in California:(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)