• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Satire vs Serious (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
For my ext 2 major work i'm doing a political speech. Of an opposition leader trying to become prime minister at the up coming election.

Does anyone know if I do a satire with a serious message would I get more marks.

Or actually do a serious political speech which is motivational, inspirational and sustains the audience's attention get higher marks.

Thanks

steffo

steph
HSC
jameszeng said:
For my ext 2 major work i'm doing a political speech. Of an opposition leader trying to become prime minister at the up coming election.

Does anyone know if I do a satire with a serious message would I get more marks.

Or actually do a serious political speech which is motivational, inspirational and sustains the audience's attention get higher marks.

Thanks
i guess try drafting a few ideas from both directions and see which seems more enjoyable to write and turns out better.
i would say do a satire, as long as its classy and solid.
it would be more challenging and original i think.
politics can get dry and boring, i think you would last longer with a more challenging and fun tone.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
What do you mean what elective?

I'm doing the Sound Medium whee I write the speech and have to actually record it.

But yeh i can write a serious political speech quite easy but the satire/parody/humourous version is quite hard.

phatic

HSC
I think you'd be better off satirising, aslong as you can pull it off with "flair". What sort of serious message would underlie the satire?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I think it would be great if your English Extension 1 elective was postmodernism. If not who cares. You should delve into postmodernism - its challenge for conventional discourses, high art and authority, which seems to be perfect for your idea.

If you want to make it satirical, and hope that the markers GET IT, and actually think you're clever rather than a smartass, be postmodern, since satire is one of its traits. Have a little research on the topic and I think you'll find that it's very appropriate. I'm sure it will get your imagination going. :) Good luck!

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Well my Elective in Ext 1 is probably the total opposite. Genre Studies - Revenge Tragedy. All about classifying things and talking about conventions of the genre.

But thanks, I'll look into postmodernism and techniques of political satire.

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
im doin revenge tragedy too. u should do satire. it's more interesting. marker's would prob get bored listening to a whole heap of serious speeches..unless everyone did satire..in that case..serious would be good.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
It seems not many people are doing speeches or people who are doing speeches don't use Bored of Studies.

Cos I posted up on the Speeches Thread and one person replied. But now that person is changing their medium.

It'd be weird if I was the only one doing a speech.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I think its more a case of the people who are doing speeches aren't using the forum. In 2003, 74 people in the state did Speeches out of the 2331 people who did the course.

If you are interested, I have a friend that did a speech this year. PM me if you want details. I'll have to check with her first of course. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)