• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

scaling when u are the only one taking the subject. (1 Viewer)

jilly12

HSC
I was planning on taking maths ext 2 and by the looks of it, I'm the only one taking it. I was just wondering what the scaling would be like because I've heard your school-based assessment essentially become useless and your external mark is then used. But I was wondering does the HSC scaling still apply? Like if I get a 70% on ext 2, would it still be bumped p to something like a 90/100 or e4 or whatever it is (idk the exact scaling just an example).

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I was planning on taking maths ext 2 and by the looks of it, I'm the only one taking it. I was just wondering what the scaling would be like because I've heard your school-based assessment essentially become useless and your external mark is then used. But I was wondering does the HSC scaling still apply? Like if I get a 70% on ext 2, would it still be bumped p to something like a 90/100 or e4 or whatever it is (idk the exact scaling just an example).
scaling remains the same because scaling is the process where they use ur final hsc mark to calculate ur atar. alignment (the process of getting a raw mark that 'aligns' to a much higher one) will still happen as well. internal moderation isn't a thing because once again ur the only one so your internal mark will be the exact same as your external

iloveeggs

HSC
scaling remains the same because scaling is the process where they use ur final hsc mark to calculate ur atar. alignment (the process of getting a raw mark that 'aligns' to a much higher one) will still happen as well. internal moderation isn't a thing because once again ur the only one so your internal mark will be the exact same as your external
so none of their internal marks count? it makes sense but its a bit shocking lol

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
so none of their internal marks count? it makes sense but its a bit shocking lol
no like
their internal is the mark you get reflective of your school ranks. there's a whole process called internal moderation which i'm not too familiar with the details of (but i'm sure other people would be happy to explain) where they calculate your internal mark based on your rank and the gaps between other people above and below you and what those people in the cohort got as their aligned mark. your external is the aligned mark of your own performance in the paper. since there's only one person doing the paper their internal mark and external mark are exactly the same

iloveeggs

HSC
no like
their internal is the mark you get reflective of your school ranks. there's a whole process called internal moderation which i'm not too familiar with the details of (but i'm sure other people would be happy to explain) where they calculate your internal mark based on your rank and the gaps between other people above and below you and what those people in the cohort got as their aligned mark. your external is the aligned mark of your own performance in the paper. since there's only one person doing the paper their internal mark and external mark are exactly the same
no lol ik exactly what you're talking about.

but how cool is that lol technically their internals don't matter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)