School Myths (1 Viewer)

Golden Creeper

HSC
N/A
:worried: Could someone tell me whether going to a selective school or just a public school in any way affect the ranking or UAI obtained in HSC?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
When the HSC markers mark your work, they have absolutely no idea who you are or what school you go to.
It ultimately depends on your performance in the HSC.
Choose a subject you well know you can perform well in.

I'd rather stick with my local school than get owned with high expectations and unnecessary "Extension" work given by selective high schools. People in selective schools are usually academically superior to non-selective schools, so they could overtake you in terms of rank and performance.

But on the other hand, don't attend a crappy school where you get into fights everyday, you may be top of the class in the work, but not worth the risk with a fight a day.

Bottom line: You are better off at your local school or any school that is stable.

Season

HSC
if you work your little bottom off no matter where you are you will get a good UAI. You can fail at a selective school and you can get 99.95 at a public school.

The only thing is that at private/selective schools you are daily in contact with competition, the standard is ususually higher and you will find the best of the best there. So they all compete for the top places and they in turn get extremly high marks.

Some public schools are like that, it was like that for my brother- a country school middle of no where 4 kids were like 'NO IM GOING TO BEAT YOU' throughout the entire year. They all got above 95.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
No. That doesn't happen. But I heard that country school students get +5 for their UAI. I'm not sure, but I hope so... ;-)

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
No they don't exactly get +5 for their UAI, they get -5 from the cutoffs. Remember the UAI is a rank, so they don't just push people up the rankings.

Last edited:

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Without Wings said:
Both of these statements are incorrect. Some students from the country may get EAS if their location/small school etc has led to a negative impact on their performance, but this is not guaranteed nor does it give them bonus UAI points. Students may get "bonus points" (they can get into courses if there UAI is slightly lower then the cutoff) for their local uni - the amount varies from unversity to university, and this isn't just a scheme that occurs in 'country unis'. Many universities have some sort of scheme to assist local students.
By no means do all "country students" get this benefit though. :)
oh...I knew it seemed too good to be true...dammit

Libbster

HSC
fOxYcLeOpTrA89 said:
Going to a school that does well in the HSC will boost your mark up. Apparently if your year does well in a subject, your mark gets scaled up for that subject. I was considering going from a top school to a tafe, but decided not to as my mark would have been scaled down due to the tafes performance.
whoever told you that was completely wrong. your school does not affect your mark whatsoever, its your rank that matters. If you are first, you are guarenteed to get the top mark in the hsc exam (from your class) as your assessment mark. but if you have a bad rank, dumbasses can pull you down

trotski

HSC
Ahem yes the school does matter (whether it is rural or suburban) but only in some Universities and for some courses. It is not just for the schol n matter what.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
The reason that selective schools do better is just because they take the cream of th academic crop. Working your bum off just to get into a selective school that you're not really prepared or suited for WILL NOT confer upon you some magical UAI boost just because you go to that school :D Your UAI depends on your performance within your cohort; if you do well within a selective cohort, it tends to mean that you would have done even better if you went to a non-selective school.

In the end, your own performance is heaps more important than your school. It's perfectly possible to get an awesome UAI at any school :D

hello_world

HSC
It sort of does, I was explained this from my school:
A school might mark harder than another, for example, a girl might get 95% in chemistry at Burwood girls (a non-selective), but only 65% at Sydney Girls (selective). In the HSC, Burwood Girls might have a mark range in chemistry of 40-70 whereas Sydney Girls might have a mark range of 80-100. Because Sydney Girls is smarter, their marks will be pushed up (or moderated) and Burwood Girls will have their marks pulled down.

In a non-selective school, people in your grade might not be as smart as you, and increase your mark range, pulling you down in the process. In a selective the girls were all picked and are all smart, meaning they all score near the top and there are no outliers pulling down the moderated assessment mark.

michaeln36

HSC
BINGO! bittwesweet hit it.
You are not inherently advantaged/disadvantaged by going to a selective or public school. Just your in school assesment marks are more likely to show overly low scores in a selective school - which get fixed up by the board when they consider your schools actual HSC exam results

vojnik

HSC
Why not be independent and go to a Public school? Your learn more about the important things in life and are surrounded by a wide variety of interesting personalities..Fuck goin to a selective school where every kid is spoon fed by their fuckin teacher, real smart aye. " Here you go class, these are the revision papers for your trial. Notice that theyre exactly the same as your actual trial, so all you need to do is memorise the questions and you should get 100".
Yeah that will get you far in life....RETARD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)