• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

school problem (2 Viewers)

Hey, im fairly new to these forums and just wondering if you guys can give me so advice!

i am currently in year 11, at my local high school and am just having a few problems.

i am normally a fairly good student ( like all band 5's and 6's for the school cert and around 80/90 percent for test we did at school) my WORST mark i ever got in year 7-10 was 64% in year 7 and i was fair upset, as you get worried heaps in year 7.

anyway this year, we have done two practise maths tests and i have got 30% and 50% in them. we have done two english tests and i got 60% and the 2nd hasnt been marked ( although it was REALLY hard and i didnt know WHAT to write)

i do 3 unit maths and 3 unit english by the way and i do 12 units so no spare ( year 11)

i know you might think face it, people fail exams everyday but its just really annoying as i did good in years 7-10 and i am studying just as much this year as i did back then

and it isnt just the way teachers are marking because people i know did worse than me last year are doing better than me now!

one of my friends had a problem with one of her subjects and they told her if she completely failed to swap, she got 53% but ended up swapping anyway as she hated it

i talked to a teacher about it and she just thinks the tranistion between years 10 and 11 has hit me.

anyway im just wondering what do u think i should do? i have a maths test ( half yearly coming up) and im just wondering if i fail do you think i should go see the deputy princ. and try and do something? anyone have any ideas? i dont think i can swap subs though as i already swapped one b4 and too much to catch up on!
agh thanks for any ideas/input .. needed so much~

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
now that u realise... ppl in ur school will actually try to start to work their ass off like never before...

and u know where u really stand...

to be honest.. just try ur hardest... :)

^^^ but shouldnt there marks go up? mine shouldnt go down
e.g. last year say i got 85 and they got 65
this year they try heaps hard so i should still get 85 and they should get say like 90 or something!
because in school things you are meant to be marked against descriptors or whatever not other people@!

picaresque

HSC
Relax. It's just year eleven. The worst thing you could do right now would be to have a nervous breakdown. I think 'they' (the authoritative 'them') would remind you that year eleven is a good time to figure out what's wrong with your study habits.

You're probably just unaccustomed to the way assessments are being structured now, and if you really are working as hard you as once did, then you'll adapt eventually. (n.b - I understand that you're distraught (or something) and this is just a forum, but if your grammar is usually like that, then you should improve it, quick, before it pulls your English marks further into the gutter.)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
you can always drop ext maths in yr 12 if you have done all the work in yr 11 but STILL can't get good marks. It is a little early to decide because you are still settling into yr 11 . Studying for Yr's 11 and 12 is alot to different to studying in junior years. Maybe you could see the teacher who teaches you the subjects you are having trouble in i.e maths and eng, rather than seeing the deputy. They should be able to steer you back in the right direction :)

^^^ whats classifys as a nervous break down? lol because i think i have already had one! before a maths test i was so scared that i had to go out of class, with people and sit down and try calm down and teachers were walking past and going omg whats with you. no yeah my grammer is usually better. thats another thing, i have been doing badly but people say it may be because i am stressed! but i cant blame stress for everything

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
its ONLY hsc... dun get too worked up abt it...

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Years 11 & 12 are completely different from junior high; in that others try:( The nerds in the junior years always get upset in senior high... don't worry you're just finished, at lest you're not a schmuck working in a box factory:D

Just keep studying hard and realise due to the law of diminishing returns (do you do economics?) the more you study proportionately the less effective it becomes - do your best and hopefully you don't become complacent or stressed - keep to the middle road...

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
I was the same, in yr 11 our first test for ex1 maths i got 30%

Im now sitting in the top 5 for the year in 2u maths and in the middle of our extension class, so don't worry

^^^ hmmm i hope so, its just people around me are still doing good ( like my friends and stuff) while i am going down

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
Originally posted by jessica_layden
^^^ but shouldnt there marks go up? mine shouldnt go down
e.g. last year say i got 85 and they got 65
this year they try heaps hard so i should still get 85 and they should get say like 90 or something!
because in school things you are meant to be marked against descriptors or whatever not other people@!
i think people have already said this, but the work has got harder since last year. doing the same amount of work as you did back then will not be enough, and you can probably expect another increase when you start year 12.

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
dont worry jessica

just coz u fail yr11 it doesnt mean u wont b a successful garbage person

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
the transition between the year 10 and 11 can be a major shock for a lot of people.... if you were able to blitz yr 10 without doing much work you are sorta going to be sorta shocked when alot of your year pulls up their socks and starts working their buts off to get the marks
even the change between 11 and 12 is a shock .. not only with all the extr work but the competitiveness in the year .... some of my friends are going NUTS over rankings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)