• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

school rankings - serious question (1 Viewer)

jane1820

HSC
my local skl is the 3rd lowest skl in the state, during my time at that skl (7-9) i was top at every subject n constantly got A's
but consider that at that skl we didn't have rankings as in we won't told who's first or anything, me being top was me comparing my results w everyone n discovering i always had the highest grade in all subjects

i then moved to a 400-something partially selective skl when i got into the selective stream (apparently i wasn't good for any other skl i applied to - i think its bc we didn't have rankings n my skl was the lowest 3rd?)

i keep thinking abt my old skl now that i kind of have a more wide understanding of scaling n stuff, would have i, if i never moved, been advantaged bc i was constantly top (first) or no since its the 3rd lowest (putting in mind in every year there is one 'top' class for smart ppl - which i was in - but even then they were (sorry) stupid)?

at my current skl im top 10 in most subjects except english n pe (we have rankings at my current skl)

i tried applying to other skls this yr for yr 11 but i can confidently say i got rejected from 2/3 skls (one skl didnt reply yet) but even if i do get into my last skl i dont think my mum would let me move bc she wants me to 'settle' in an environment n doesn't want me to constantly move

thanks

jane1820

HSC
also i forgot to mention i moved to australia in yr 7 so i never got a chance to apply selective for yr 7
in yr 7 i didnt know about selective
in yr 8 wasnt sure about what it is
in yr 9 i applied
irrelevant but in case anyone wanted to know why i went to my local skl to begin w

iloveeggs

HSC
would have i, if i never moved, been advantaged bc i was constantly top (first) or no since its the 3rd lowest (putting in mind in every year there is one 'top' class for smart ppl - which i was in - but even then they were (sorry) stupid)?
if your school is ranked that low in the state i would guess that they pretty much get little to no band 6s at all so id wager a guess and say youre better off ranking 10th in a higher ranked school than ranking 1st in a school ranking much lower. and that too in a selective stream as opposed to comprehensive.

then again i genuinely dont know much about schools ranked that low. was it in a remote area with small cohort numbers? what was the reason it was ranked that low?

jane1820

HSC
if your school is ranked that low in the state i would guess that they pretty much get little to no band 6s at all so id wager a guess and say youre better off ranking 10th in a higher ranked school than ranking 1st in a school ranking much lower. and that too in a selective stream as opposed to comprehensive.

then again i genuinely dont know much about schools ranked that low. was it in a remote area with small cohort numbers? what was the reason it was ranked that low?
The teachers and students didnt work
teachers would walk in the classroom n not teach
students would walk into hsc n write fuck you on the exam papers
its not in a remote area just in general also the school is like 30min from the city so not that far

spiderfan44

HSC
it kinda of depends on if
my local skl is the 3rd lowest skl in the state, during my time at that skl (7-9) i was top at every subject n constantly got A's
but consider that at that skl we didn't have rankings as in we won't told who's first or anything, me being top was me comparing my results w everyone n discovering i always had the highest grade in all subjects

i then moved to a 400-something partially selective skl when i got into the selective stream (apparently i wasn't good for any other skl i applied to - i think its bc we didn't have rankings n my skl was the lowest 3rd?)

i keep thinking abt my old skl now that i kind of have a more wide understanding of scaling n stuff, would have i, if i never moved, been advantaged bc i was constantly top (first) or no since its the 3rd lowest (putting in mind in every year there is one 'top' class for smart ppl - which i was in - but even then they were (sorry) stupid)?

at my current skl im top 10 in most subjects except english n pe (we have rankings at my current skl)

i tried applying to other skls this yr for yr 11 but i can confidently say i got rejected from 2/3 skls (one skl didnt reply yet) but even if i do get into my last skl i dont think my mum would let me move bc she wants me to 'settle' in an environment n doesn't want me to constantly move

thanks
when youre at a really low ranked school and have pretty much no competition in regards to ranks you dont really have to work as hard in assessments bcuz u know ur rank will stay the same. u can put less effort into assessments and dedicate yourself to hsc more. the thing is though a good cohort acts as insurance almost, bcuz if you fuck up a hsc exam or assessment ur mark gets kinda fucked if your cohort sucks. if you go to a low ranking school its probably more likely your school will have less resources, making it harder for you to succeed. sure online resources can be used, but having a teacher to give you good feedback really does help and sometimes not all resources are available online.

in a school with a good cohort you do have to grind more during assessments to achieve a good rank. but if you do mess up on hsc or an assessment though its not as catastrophic a hit. you also benefit more from helping each other out, because at least some of your cohort would be willing to put effort into academics and work. co-marking assessments, giving feedback on assessments, sharing notes, etc, can actually be quite beneficial, especially in that hsc stage.

i think being in the school ur in now is probably better for you.

iloveeggs

HSC
The teachers and students didnt work
teachers would walk in the classroom n not teach
students would walk into hsc n write fuck you on the exam papers
its not in a remote area just in general also the school is like 30min from the city so not that far
oh ok then you should be glad you left wtf

iloveeggs

HSC
there really isnt anything else you can do except try your hardest atp. dont dwell on where you wish you were bc we cant change anything now

iloveeggs

HSC
there are still ways to get a decent atar without going to a good school. see if you qualify for eas or eapl adjustment factors for uni, do your best in internals and try to rank as high as possible. if youre concerned about any specific cohort of yours that is so shit that you feel like that they will scale you down, look in to distance education for that subject so you will technically be in another cohort but still doing that subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)