school ranks affecting atar (1 Viewer)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
5 and 500 is a huge gap. But in a top 5 school you would be in a selective school so if you were ranked 5th internally, you would get 98-99 ATAR but if you were a 500 school you might be anywhere between 88-94.
This is somewhat wrong. if there is a strong cohort in the rank 500 school and a 'weak' cohort in the selective school, both students can end up with identical atars

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
This is somewhat wrong. if there is a strong cohort in the rank 500 school and a 'weak' cohort in the selective school, both students can end up with identical atars
Did you read the original conditions? Top 5 vs 500. I wouldn't say 500 is a strong cohort nor a top 5 is a weak cohort.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
People refer to school ranking because it gives a general indication of cohorts performance. If somehow a school ranked 500 "luckily" ended up having only studious students with a similar level of academic mentality as a cohort in a rank 5 school, then hypothetically speaking their ATARs will be similar.

In the end of the day, it's the cohort that helps improves your ATAR, not the school's rank.

HSC
That's true but your analysis was hypothetical. You just can't possibly go from being ranked 500th to 5th.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
People refer to school ranking because it gives a general indication of cohorts performance. If somehow a school ranked 500 "luckily" ended up having only studious students with a similar level of academic mentality as a cohort in a rank 5 school, then hypothetically speaking their ATARs will be similar.

In the end of the day, it's the cohort that helps improves your ATAR, not the school's rank.
In this situation if you are ranked 5 internally, realistically to get an equivalent atar of a person from a top 5 school ranked 5th, is about impossible. They wouldn't be able to get a 99.9 ATAR, unless the people above them get something that high as well, and if that was the case, they wouldn't be ranked 500.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Did you read the original conditions? Top 5 vs 500. I wouldn't say 500 is a strong cohort nor a top 5 is a weak cohort.
I don't know the cohort at James Ruse, but our school (rank ~550's) has a really good physics cohort, so i guess it really depends on the year

That's true but your analysis was hypothetical. You just can't possibly go from being ranked 500th to 5th.
challenge accepted.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I don't know the cohort at James Ruse, but our school (rank ~550's) has a really good physics cohort, so i guess it really depends on the year
That's only physics, it has to be like every single subject nearly. I also doubt a rank 550 school has a cohort anywhere near the top schools in physics.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
'Really good' isn't comparative against Ruse. Top 5 at Ruse are expecting state ranks.

enoilgam

HSC
That's only physics, it has to be like every single subject nearly. I also doubt a rank 550 school has a cohort anywhere near the top schools in physics.
A rank 550 school would be lucky to get one or two band 6s across all subjects (usually the bottom 50ish schools get zero band 6s).

That being said, keep in mind that low ranked schools can fluctuate significantly in terms of ranking from year to year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)